RJ Spagnols Too much Yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kross

Reaction score
I changed out the yeast in a kit and add an 8g pack in replace of a 6g pack. What affect will the extra yeast have on my wine?

I changed out the yeast in a kit and add an 8g pack in replace of a 6g pack. What affect will the extra yeast have on my wine?
Little to none. Yeast multiply until they have a colony large enough to go to work converting the sugar to alcohol. Starting with a little larger yeast colony will only reduce the lag time and start fermentation a bit earlier. As long as the "additional" amount of yeast is reasonable, that's pretty much how it will go. Adding 100g doesn't seem to me to be a good idea, I'd imagine that might affect the taste of your wine.

Little to none. Yeast multiply until they have a colony large enough to go to work converting the sugar to alcohol. Starting with a little larger yeast colony will only reduce the lag time and start fermentation a bit earlier. As long as the "additional" amount of yeast is reasonable, that's pretty much how it will go. Adding 100g doesn't seem to me to be a good idea, I'd imagine that might affect the taste of your wine.
Thanks for that information!

Little to none. . . . . Adding 100g doesn't seem to me to be a good idea, I'd imagine that might affect the taste of your wine.
Adding 100 grams would improve the nutrition much the same as adding inactivated yeast sold by the name Fermaid O, ,,,, but it would be a more expensive way to add YAN.

Back