Too much yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROADRUNNER

Junior
Reaction score
OK, I'm an idiot. I doubled the amount of yeast in the recipe. I have two packets of montrache yeast in 3 gallons of blackberry wine. Whats gonna happen now? Grav went from 1.082 to .996 in 7 days. Do I need to rush out for more fruit? Wine is happy, but I'm not sure that I am.

its all good the yeast would have multiplied to that level in 24 hours easy, maybe less. 7 days isn't rare. From 996 to 990 can take 3 more days sometimes. beat hell out of my blackberry this year. It took almost a month to ferment. I like it your way better

Another vote, You will be just fine. In fact to truly pitch yeast correctly you should take that packet of yeast and make a starter and build up that colony. It is rare to see a winemaker do that. So in essence, I doubt you still pitched the recommended amount of yeast cells.

Yeah, most people just open the packet of yeast and sprinkle it in top. I used to do the same. When I started at least re-hydrating the yeast my fermentation were cleaner. A starter is the best practice though for quick and clean fermentation. I have started using White Labs and Wyeast liquid wine yeasts with starters with very nice results.

I vote also for a yeast starter. I recently brought back a stuck fermentation from the dead with a starter. A starter is nothing more than being PATIENT! Let the yeast grow for a bit. Since I have been a member in here, I have heard many stories of stuck or slow fermentation, very few of those posts were written by someone that used a starter.

I thought making a starter was a given. I make a lot of bread as well. Thanks for all the help! My next wine will be a gingered honeydew or pear.

I thought making a starter was a given. I make a lot of bread as well. Thanks for all the help! My next wine will be a gingered honeydew or pear.

Many who think they are making starters are actually just proofing the yeast like in baking but is much more desirable than just dumping the yeast in. I highly recommend that people learn to at least learn and do this. You will notice a difference and it is all that is really needed unless you have a bad fermentation like Sid mentioned, then a full blown starter comes into play. Also, some wines like a Blueberry for example will greatly benefit from a full blown starter to get fermentation underway.

Blueberry for example will greatly benefit from a full blown starter to get fermentation underway.

Very true - I started some a week ago and it went nowhere until I made a starter and slowly aclimated the yeast to my must. I also added some chopped raisens for good measure.

Latest posts

Back