Too much wine after primary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViNesv

Reaction score
I just hit very unusual problem for me.
I bought 23L/6US Galons "The Original Alljuice" kit and bought extra Grape Skins package. I did not have to add any water to my kit - it was 23L ready for fermentation. I added juice and Grape Skins and today transferred wine from primary fermenter to secondary fermenter. Usually even with 23L of juice I always had more than enough space in carboy. This time because grape skins added some juice I had extra 2L/0.5US Galons of wine. I have 1GAL small wine jug where I put that extra juice now, but I do not have small airlock for that jug.
Before this question is asked - I am 100% sure that my carboy is for 23L/6US Gal.

I am assuming this is common problem - if you add grape skins from the box, this will make extra wine. What do experts usually do with this extra wine?

Not an expert but here is what I would do... Put a balloon or rubber glove or Saran Wrap on the 1 gallon jug. If the covering begins to "ballon" because of CO2 gases put the tiniest pinprick in the covering. When you rack off of secondary you will have the same wine with which to top off.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
smilie.gif

Not an expert but here is what I would do... Put a balloon or rubber glove or Saran Wrap on the 1 gallon jug. If the covering begins to "ballon" because of CO2 gases put the tiniest pinprick in the covering. When you rack off of secondary you will have the same wine with which to top off.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
smilie.gif

Thank you very much for this tip on balloon trick. I just put balloon on and hopefully will have wine to top up carboy before stabilizing.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back