Too Much Sulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful, don't get carried away with the additions, note that in your article above they recommend using 1% hydrogen peroxide solution with good mixing. "The H2O2 should be added in a dilute form (recommend less than 1% w/v), slowly, with adequate mixing (e.g. tank recirculation) to avoid localised oxidation." The idea here is to selectively oxidize the free so2 and not the wine.

Also remember that any dissolved oxygen introduced from your previous splash racking is still active, and it may take a month or two for this to react with the wine, which will result in further free so2 drop. The theoretical drop of free so2 due to dissolved oxygen is 4 to 1, though in practice it can be anywhere from 2 : 1 to 4 : 1, for example if you dissolved 5ppm oxygen during the splash racking, you should expect to lose 10 to 20 ppm free so2 during the next couple of months.

I thought they used 35%w/v in the formula. I think before I retest it this afternoon I'm going to rack and return it to make sure its homogenized. This is only 3 gallons and if I ruin it (which I don't want to do) I won't loose too much sleep. I'm going to monitor this daily for the next couple weeks without adding any more peroxide just for the sake curiosity. One thing I've often wondered is with vacuum racking whether splashed or not, does it add oxygen or perhaps reduce it?

The wine is passing through an atmosphere with oxygen, so the wine will always pick up some oxygen, but the amount is variable depending on the amount of co2 coming out of solution, as well as the vacuum pressure in the receiving carboy. I thought @mainshipfred did some testing of dissolved oxygen pick-up in a previous thread.

Just did the afternoon SO2 test and it remained the same from this morning at around 50-52 ppm which is where I'll keep it. So with this particular 3 gallons of Merlot the first 6 ml dose of peroxide lowered the SO2 16 ppm and the second equal dose the following day dropped it an additional 28 ppm. No idea about the science behind it, it's just what happened.

Just did the afternoon SO2 test and it remained the same from this morning at around 50-52 ppm which is where I'll keep it. So with this particular 3 gallons of Merlot the first 6 ml dose of peroxide lowered the SO2 16 ppm and the second equal dose the following day dropped it an additional 28 ppm. No idea about the science behind it, it's just what happened.

I'm just glad that @stickman jumped in with some really good knowledge, me just having just read about using it to reduce / remove SO2. Hats off!!!

I think @Johnd is trying to say "hats off" to @mainshipfred for actually following through on a larger scale. After I ran some tests I chickened out, I had 15 or 20 gallons of Brehm Malbec to treat, it would have been an expensive mistake if things went wrong, luckily I had blending stock available. A few of the test samples turned into bruised apple smelling acetaldehyde in a matter of minutes.

Latest posts

Back