Too Much Sulfite

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by mainshipfred, Jan 15, 2020.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jan 16, 2020 #21

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

I thought they used 35%w/v in the formula. I think before I retest it this afternoon I'm going to rack and return it to make sure its homogenized. This is only 3 gallons and if I ruin it (which I don't want to do) I won't loose too much sleep. I'm going to monitor this daily for the next couple weeks without adding any more peroxide just for the sake curiosity. One thing I've often wondered is with vacuum racking whether splashed or not, does it add oxygen or perhaps reduce it?

2. Jan 16, 2020 #22

stickman

stickman

stickman

Veteran Winemaker

The wine is passing through an atmosphere with oxygen, so the wine will always pick up some oxygen, but the amount is variable depending on the amount of co2 coming out of solution, as well as the vacuum pressure in the receiving carboy. I thought @mainshipfred did some testing of dissolved oxygen pick-up in a previous thread.

3. Jan 16, 2020 #23

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

I did but from what I remember I was reducing the amount of DO of the wine with argon to a recommended amount 10 - 15% saturation. I later found out nitrogen is better for reducing DO but argon is better when you have too much head space or for parging.

4. Jan 16, 2020 #24

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Just did the afternoon SO2 test and it remained the same from this morning at around 50-52 ppm which is where I'll keep it. So with this particular 3 gallons of Merlot the first 6 ml dose of peroxide lowered the SO2 16 ppm and the second equal dose the following day dropped it an additional 28 ppm. No idea about the science behind it, it's just what happened.

5. Jan 16, 2020 #25

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

I'm just glad that @stickman jumped in with some really good knowledge, me just having just read about using it to reduce / remove SO2. Hats off!!!

mainshipfred and stickman like this.
  6. Jan 16, 2020 #26

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Anxious to hear if you think the taste is improved.

mainshipfred likes this.
  7. Jan 16, 2020 #27

stickman

stickman

stickman

Veteran Winemaker

I think @Johnd is trying to say "hats off" to @mainshipfred for actually following through on a larger scale. After I ran some tests I chickened out, I had 15 or 20 gallons of Brehm Malbec to treat, it would have been an expensive mistake if things went wrong, luckily I had blending stock available. A few of the test samples turned into bruised apple smelling acetaldehyde in a matter of minutes.

mainshipfred likes this.
  8. Jan 16, 2020 #28

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Not sure Jim, your taster is better then mine. It's definitely no worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted