Too much sugar in a huckleberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekez01

Junior
Reaction score
I put too much sugar in my first batch of huckleberry wine. The wine has stopped fermentation and is sitting at 1.040 s.g. is there a way to start fermentation again or should I just deal with a really sweet wine.

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure? Alcohol throws off the reading when using a refractometer.

The starting s.g. was around 1.130. This was the first time that I checked it at 1.040. It just seems like it is not fermenting any more. No action in the jug.

The starting s.g. was around 1.130. This was the first time that I checked it at 1.040. It just seems like it is not fermenting any more. No action in the jug.
Wow, you were headed for some hot hooch if it fermented to 0.999. Sounds to me the yeast gave out. This could be for a couple reasons. #1 wrong or bad yeast for the extra high starting SG. #2 not enough air during primary fermentation. #3 too acidic. How did it end up? with the starting SG at 1.130, your PA at the end would have been almost 18%, woo wee, that would have been dry stuff

Ekezo1, How did the batch turn out? I am about to bottle my Huck. Finished alcohol ended up at 14 %. I have experienced slowwwwww fermentation with huckleberry. This batch was no different. I think I will aerate more and add additional nutrients to the primary next year. Hopefully speeding up the fermentation. I used 24 lbs of hucks in this batch. I love the velvety feel when tasting. I will post a pictures when I bottle

Where in the world did you that many huckleberries? I visited Montana a few years and saw them growing in the wild. Very small bushes and small fruit. Loved them in a milkshake at the local creamery. I knew then that they would make a great wine. Please what is your source?

Where in the world did you that many huckleberries? I visited Montana a few years and saw them growing in the wild. Very small bushes and small fruit. Loved them in a milkshake at the local creamery. I knew then that they would make a great wine. Please what is your source?
I live on the Oregon coast. My property has hundreds of mature, well producing Huckleberry bushes. These are the "black" hucks. I am blessed to have an abundance. These bushes grow up to 10 feet. I believe the variety you saw in Montana were the red berry variety, correct? If so those have a different flavor.

Latest posts

Back