Too much secondary fermentation??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa b

Easy does it
Reaction score
Hello everybody
Transfer a Vineco Connoisseur Merlot to secondary fermenter after 7 days and 2 consecutive days with a S.G of 1.000 (suggested S.G by manufactured 1.010) prior to transfer there was not visible fermentation in carboy or bubbles/gasses coming true the airlock , Now after transfering look like a lot of action going on inside the carboy, bubbling, fizzling and a lot of gasses coming true airlock, no chemicals added, no stirring, degassing or anything like that, Temp been steady about 71
So is that normal or I shouldn't transfer the wine yet :?
Thanks in advance
Papa B

You have to go by the SG reading. With all that fizzing going on, one of two things is happening:
1) It is still fermenting, so the SG should be dropping each day.
2) Wine is just releasing CO2, so SG is not going to drop. Maybe it is a little warmer than in the primary fermentor, so it is degassing.

Go by the SG. When it has stopped dropping 2 (IMO, 3) days in a row, fermentation is done.

Thanks Robie
I will check it 3 days in a row next time, but for now since i transfered already do you suggest for me to still ck the SG daily or leave it alone and if the SG is dropping what do you suggest?
Thanks and sorry for been a pain

I almost always have more fermentation after racking from primary to secondary, it is often referred to as secondary fermentation afterall.

Sounds like you're doing fine. Give it plenty of time to finish out before before sulfiting.

Papa B:

I have made a LOT of the Vineco California Connoisseur Merlot. It was the second best selling kit when I ran an FoP. I would just transfer to carboy after about 7 days (as you did), and let set until the next step (day 18 or later). No need to check the sg every day.

Steve

Thank you guy
I guess there's nothing wrong with my "Vino" ,
BTW how do you remove the "snap cap" from the kits without spilling some juice over your hands
Maybe is just me, But everyone of them i spill some :w

how do you remove the "snap cap" from the kits without spilling some juice over your hands
Maybe is just me, But everyone of them i spill some :w

I grab the neck below the cap, let the juice drain away from the neck, then pop off the cap. I've been lucky maybe.

I grab the neck below the cap, let the juice drain away from the neck, then pop off the cap. I've been lucky maybe.

I may have been lucky too, but I also used the smaller 10-12 liter kits so they are not so heavy. The WE Crushendo kit was like 50 lbs and very difficult to lift, open and pour without spilling. I find the box top slots not very easy to work with. I only spilled a few tablespoons.

First I take the bag out of the box. The box just interferes (IMO anyway). Position it near the edge of a counter with the snap cap facing up. These days I use one of the tools that Robie mentioned, but I used to use a two-ended can opener (just force one end under the snap cap and twist). Never had a problem.

When I ran an FoP, anything up to 10 litres, just grab the bag out of the box, snap the cap off, and pour. These days, I don't get as much practice, so I do the above.

Steve

Latest posts

Back