Too much oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t waste your time with egg white fining if you over oak. I tried it on a FWK petit sirah that I over oaked. I added 0.75ml per gal (range 0.5-1mL). It did not do anything to reduce the oak flavor. I did blend some with an unoaked Zinfandel. That seemed to be the best use. It may have stripped some color too.

Egg white fining is for excessive harsh tannins. Blending is the only way to help over oaking. Also, if slightly over oaked, it will integrate over time in a lot of wines.

Don’t waste your time with egg white fining if you over oak. I tried it on a FWK petit sirah that I over oaked. I added 0.75ml per gal (range 0.5-1mL). It did not do anything to reduce the oak flavor. I did blend some with an unoaked Zinfandel. That seemed to be the best use. It may have stripped some color too.

Egg white fining is for excessive harsh tannins. Blending is the only way to help over oaking. Also, if slightly over oaked, it will integrate over time in a lot of wines.
Agreed. The oak is starting to dissipate as it ages in the bottle.

I used Bentonite, it really removes lots of strong tannins, you might need to reoak or add tannins back.

if you have a cold place to store them it helps drop sediment and unwanted flavors. unbottle and put back in. carboy. let sit another month and test again before bottling.

Latest posts

Back