Too much kieslesol!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alicia

Junior
Reaction score
Please help. I am making my first batch of wine ever from the grapes we grew in our garden, so no kit or instructions. I am only making 1 gallon but bought the Super-Kleer K.C 2 stage fining agent portioned for 5-6 gallons. I added the whole portion of kieselsol to my wine batch and didn't realize until a few hours later what I'd done. I am in the 24 hour window before adding the chitosan and couldn't find any info about how to deal with this problem so I joined this forum!
My questions are: How will this effect my wine? Will it strip it too much? Should I add the correct amount of chitosan or add the whole thing to off set the kieselsol?
I sincerely appreciate any feedback, this is our first grape harvest and I'm trying hard not to ruin it. Thanks!

Last edited:
i'd try what heathed said,
all it des is cause small particles t drop out of your wine so your wine clears quicker, as fr taste an harm i have n clue, but as i said all it is supposed to d as i understand it is cause your yeast and the very small particles to fall to the bottom so you will have clear wine to bottle,
but you've done a very smart thing joining this forum, these people have helped me greatly, and i have checked out many wine forums, and this one in my opinion is the very best,
so WELCOME TO WMT
Dawg

@heatherd @hounddawg, Thank you so much for the quick response, I really appreciated the welcome. I took the advice and put the whole package of chitosan in. It cleared up nicely. Took about 2 days to clear which was longer than expected because it's such a small amount but I knew it would be a bit off due to the proportions of clarifying agent. Thought it would clear super fast but maybe took longer due to the amount of chemical reactions taking place...idk. I also think it did take some flavor and aroma but feel like it balanced out ok. Again it was my first batch and I don't really have a solid frame of reference other than what I've heard, just mentioning what I'm feeling about it. Really feel like it was the right move to add the whole thing based on how the wine looked 24 hours after I added the kieselsol, it was still pretty cloudy and chitosan cleared it right up! After initial taste test when bottling, it was a bit bland initially but had a chardonnay feel, which I like so I'm content with it, hopefully it ages well. I'll definitely pay attention to proportions when doing the next batch but satisfied with this one.
Thanks again. This forum is sweet, glad I found it!

Alicia

@he
heatherd yup i fee the same except @Aillia i have no clue to the vessels you have , but as for me my first batch was 38 gallons, elderberry, strawberry, blackberry and an a blend from day one it was granny smith green apples, yellow Delicious apples, and 3 lbs of yellow sargets yellow crabapples, i tend to use only 2 types kvil1111 and EC-1118 but i like strong drink but i hate the taste so after much tinkering around i found the answer first know the not powdered an not liquid but pure granular honey, take a 18% or 36 proof and makes it taste like a 10%ABV, best of journeys to all of use

Dawg

Back