too much k-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
A couple of months ago, I bottled a blueberry wine that I added some store bought shiraz to to give it more body. I opened a bottle, and it has a very sulfite-y taste. So I went back to my racking notes, and sure enough, the racking before I bottled it I wrote " Added 3/4 tsp k-meta". Being a 3 gallon batch, I know that is way too much! I checked other wines I was racking around the same time, and this was the only one I did this to. Must have been what you call a brainfart.

It was a problem wine anyway, not enough body since I used too few blueberries. I added glycerin and two magnums of shiraz to help.

Will the k-meta dissipate over time, or is this wine a lost cause? Not a huge loss, but a loss nonetheless.

Bummer, I dont think it will dissipate that much since its bottled. You may want to pop the corks and splash rack it, let it sit in the carboy again for awhile and ten blend again to try and make it a better wine or just bottle again if you are satisfied with it the way it is.

Thanks for the advice, now I have to decide whether it's worth it or not.

Yup - i did the same thing - i just opened the bottle and decanted one - and it turned out fine. The others i popped the cork and did what wade said - they also turned out fine.

Latest posts

Back