too much acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
I have a carboy of pinot noir. I have added oak chips and degassed and racked a few times. Its been sitting about 6 months. added 1/4 teaspoon of K-meta about a month ago.

The wine has an acid taste and could be a little sweeter. How do I neutralize the acid taste? I am tempted to add some juice to sweeten it and hope that takes care of the acid as well. Maybe add oak chips again. I have seen some threads on backsweetening but never tried it. Is there a correct way to do this? If I add juice will it stay mixed with the wine or sink or float to the top because it is a different weight?

I have a similar issue with the red Dornfelder I made last year. Good overall taste, but a bit too sour/acidic.
I'm going to try some oak chips first. Then if it's still to acidic, a bit of potassium bicarbonate. Sweetening will be my last resort since it tastes good dry.

I made a batch of Pinot noir once and it took a year to come around. I wouldn't sweeten it. Maybe more oak if you think it needs it. But in my case it just took time to settle.

Moot point now maybe because you added the KMS, but did you MLF this wine?

adding sugar syrup does not necessarily make the wine sweeter as you are trying to balance against the acidity. the best is a bench trial thus not risking your whole batch, make a sugar syrup two cup sugar to one cup hot water mix in blender let cool. establish 100ml samples of your wine. use one as control. add 1/4 tsp(1.25ml) to first, twice this amount to second, three time this amount to third etc. taste test to determine your desired amount. once known make a 500ml sample of desired sugar syrup addition to wine add small amount of sorbate taste again in two weeks if okay add calculated amount for full batch sorbate wait two weeks to insure ferment does not restart then bottle.

So I was in a similar boat with a harsh after bite on my Cabernet that is currently bulk aging. A few months ago I thought the harsh bite was the acidity for sure, but in fact it just needed time to settle and release all the CO2, all it needed was time. After my wine hit the 3 month bulk aging point, I did a taste test while racking and it was delicious, the "bite" was almost unnoticeable.

Did you do a pH or full test to actually confirm that acidity is truly the problem? If the pH and acid levels are within their respective recommended ranges for your type of wine then you shouldn't do anything to your wine. If you plan on continuing to bulk age for another 6 months, I wouldn't bother addressing anything in your wine until you get to that point.

The lesson I learned, a very valuable one, is that time is the best additive for homemade wine. It's a chemical process and so much happens on it's own, we just have to be patient.

Last edited:
CabSauv is correct - Without a pH test there is no way to be 100% certain the taste is caused by too much acid.

In fact the overdose of K-meta could be what caused the acid taste.

There was site and a video of someone educating a person on how to taste wine Including testing various things that had certain attributes to a slight excess so that the person could learn what various conditions and qualities one might find in a wine. Anyone getting started in wine making would do well to read, watch and conduct their own education on those characteristics.

Last edited:
So I was in a similar boat with a harsh after bite on my Cabernet that is currently bulk aging. A few months ago I thought the harsh bite was the acidity for sure, but in fact it just needed time to settle and release all the CO2, all it needed was time. After my wine hit the 3 month bulk aging point, I did a taste test while racking and it was delicious, the "bite" was almost unnoticeable.

Did you do a pH or full test to actually confirm that acidity is truly the problem? If the pH and acid levels are within their respective recommended ranges for your type of wine then you shouldn't do anything to your wine. If you plan on continuing to bulk age for another 6 months, I wouldn't bother addressing anything in your wine until you get to that point.

The lesson I learned, a very valuable one, is that time is the best additive for homemade wine. It's a chemical process and so much happens on it's own, we just have to be patient.

In my case, pH is 3.5 which should be fine, but as I've degassed a few times (all in one) and it's now 9 months old, I'm not sure whats up. I haven't tested TA recently, need to do that.

I have not purchased a ph testing kit yet but will do so now

I'd recommend a pH meter and if you want to do TA test you can just buy the Sodium Hydoxide and use the meter for a very accurate TA test.

Meters start around $20.00 and go to the sky but as long as you check calibration frequently even the $20.00 seem to work well. Be sure to get the calibration liquids along with the meter.

So for my next batch - when is a good time to test ph - before adding yeast or after fermentation

hey scooter68 where did you find a $29 meter

There are any number of them on Amazon. Some are probably not too reliable but they start around $10.00. I recognize the brand Hanna and there are several models on there starting at $29.xx

The one I bought is still there but much higher now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJFEB2O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

OH and here's a Twofer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IOL5A60/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

From the research I did ALL meters require recalibration periodically. Mine has done well the most drift I've had was about .15. For me I just can't justify spending a great deal when all I have to do is run a quick calibration check which takes about 5 minutes or less including correcting the meter. Just be sure to get the testing buffer solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
measure ph and acid at start of fermentation before adding yeast and after adding any sugar. Ph immediately post fermentation will be skewed because of carbonic acid generated from the co2. if ph measurement post fermentation not until degassed and clear and after about three months.

Is there a chart out there showing what the ideal PH is for reds and what the difference between PH and TA

heathered,
You have made quite a bit of wine. I have made a few and am considering doing an MLF on my next batch. Do you typically do an MLF. If not how do you decide when to do it.

has anyone tried neutralizing acid with bicarbonate of soda

I may be wrong but isn't that Sodium Bicarbonate? If so that would not be the one to use. Use instead Calcium Carbonate.

Adding salt (Sodium) is not considered good for wine.

Latest posts

Back