Too many options...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadini

Reaction score
I got my first pail of frozen grape must last Friday-yayee! Anyway, it’s a Cab Sauv and I am mulling my options with the pumice.
Following are the options I came up with. Feel free to chime in with your opinions. I’m open to any other suggestions as well.
1. I can do a second run
2. I can make a pyment
3. I can add them to the next kit I do-I was thinking a Merlot, yum.
Note-I’m afraid option 3 will mess up the composition of the kit.

Attachments

• 1A2C2179-85AD-4260-8A82-07C8A7D8CEB7.jpeg
    1A2C2179-85AD-4260-8A82-07C8A7D8CEB7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • B6ECDCC6-DD12-4804-A8A8-BD6E03BF2038.jpeg
    B6ECDCC6-DD12-4804-A8A8-BD6E03BF2038.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
I got my first pail of frozen grape must last Friday-yayee! Anyway, it’s a Cab Sauv and I am mulling my options with the pumice.
Following are the options I came up with. Feel free to chime in with your opinions. I’m open to any other suggestions as well.
1. I can do a second run
2. I can make a pyment
3. I can add them to the next kit I do-I was thinking a Merlot, yum.
Note-I’m afraid option 3 will mess up the composition of the kit.
Option 3 will produce the best results, IMHO, though I’d try to match the varietals.

Thanks @crushday! I did add MLF and didn’t take that into consideration. That will take #3 off the table I think. I’m glad you brought that up as i was leaning towards that option.

That’s true @BernardSmith. I asked some folks at my lhbs about second runs and their opinions were all over the place. I think the honey should add the body that the second run could be lacking.

I have only ever made wine once from fresh (wine) grapes this fall and made a second run from the hand pressing I did. The second wine had excellent body and flavor. The first wine is still in a carboy aging but the second running is bottled and is quite enjoyable. I would not be overly anxious about using the fruit after pressing once (though, of course, if you have a commercial press that might be a different story. I literally, hand pressed my grapes (about 60 lbs before crushing and fermenting).

I’m doing the pressing by hand as well @BernardSmith Since it’s also my first grape fermentation. It’s good to hear you enjoyed the second run. I like the idea of having an early drinker!

Thanks for that link @CDrew! There’s some great info in that. I’ve never given much thought to Why you shouldn’t MLF a kit, but the way he explained it makes sense.

I’m doing the pressing by hand as well @BernardSmith Since it’s also my first grape fermentation. It’s good to hear you enjoyed the second run. I like the idea of having an early drinker!
There are a couple of recent threads regarding presses. I strongly recommend getting at least a small press, as the amount of additional wine you get from the pomace is significant.

For 2nd runs, my notes from 2019 and 2020 are online. We are drinking the 2019 and are very pleased with it.

Thanks @winemaker81! That’s some great info. You and Bernard have convinced me to do a second run with this pomace. I plan on getting a press for the fall harvest, but it’s just not in the cards for this batch.

Latest posts

Back