Too long in primary fermenter? Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyvintner

Junior
Reaction score
I accidentally left my wine kit primary sit for 6 months. Can I still go ahead with it? SG is at 990, smells almost like super ripe cherries...

What kit was it? That's quite a long time but you basically did a really long extended maceration. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a million times more experience but as long as it doesn't smell like vinegar you have nothing to lose. Rack it and add your kmeta, after a few weeks or months, measure and taste - see where you're at.

I accidentally left my wine kit primary sit for 6 months. Can I still go ahead with it? SG is at 990, smells almost like super ripe cherries...

Wow, that's a long time, was it in an airlocked fermenter, or has it been exposed to air? If it tastes ok, rack it carefully (remove only the wine, no sediment, etc.) out of the fermenter and into a carboy and get it sulfited very quickly. By now, it's probably degassed and quite clear, hopefully it's still good and not oxidized.

Not airlocked, but lidded with dark bag over it and wrapped in a blanket. As I say, smells like a brandy BUT it is tart or very dry!

You can always back sweeten later, I'd worry about getting it off the gross lees and stabilizing the wine first.

Thank you both for your quick responses...going to go ahead and rack it and move on with it. I'll let you know how this goes...thanks again Johnd and CabSauv...

OK...racked into a clean carboy. Since it was already at 990 I added the metabisulphate and sorbate right away and then the Kieselsol too. I'll wait the week till things settle again and then add the Chitosan. The racking space now smells very heady and the test taste, as I said, was very dry but DEFINITELY not vinaigery! Wish me luck on this one...I feel like such a dork letting this happen!

Well so far so good, no vinegary smell or taste is a good sign. What color is it? The more bricky or brown color the more oxidized it is. With the wine almost certainly being degassed and if you were careful not to move any sediment over to the clean carboy then it should be fairly clear too. The kmeta will help fend off further oxidation and keep it from turning so you should be on your way!

Well so far so good, no vinegary smell or taste is a good sign. What color is it? The more bricky or brown color the more oxidized it is. With the wine almost certainly being degassed and if you were careful not to move any sediment over to the clean carboy then it should be fairly clear too. The kmeta will help fend off further oxidation and keep it from turning so you should be on your way!
I feel the "move" went very cleanly. I stopped transfer before it reached sediment level, having been very careful not to disturb anything when dropping in the siphon. As for colour, it's a surprisingly deep red and looks lovely. Time will tell! My poor primary is stained badly though...not sure what I should use to clean it as much as possible...any suggestions?

primary is stained badly though...not sure what I should use to clean it as much as possible...any suggestions?
First it won't matter if color is removed since it will still work.
Oxidizing cleaners will decolorize the wall, "Straight A" or a no scent version of oxiclean
metabisulphite will decolorize some pigment, ex it is what is used in candy cherry before the artifical color is added
IF RINSED MANY TIMES, bleach will remove the color, NEVER NEVER get bleach near your wines and wine corks

First it won't matter if color is removed since it will still work.
Oxidizing cleaners will decolorize the wall, "Straight A" or a no scent version of oxiclean
metabisulphite will decolorize some pigment, ex it is what is used in candy cherry before the artifical color is added
IF RINSED MANY TIMES, bleach will remove the color, NEVER NEVER get bleach near your wines and wine corks
Thanks for this...I'll definitely avoid bleach!

I will let everyone know how this works out...just now drowning my anxieties in a martini! THANK YOU ALL!

Back