Too late to plant cuttings?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Gardner

Reaction score
I've been physically prevented from working on my vines until today. I had a great time pruning my vines back. They've all started sprouting leaves, so I wondered if I could plant them at this time. I stuck some into some dirt and are keeping them in the sun. We've entered a week of wet weather with a bit of sun each day and I have the cuttings in 5 gallon buckets sitting in the sun. Is this an exercise in futility, or will these late cuttings have a chance of growing? The grapes are interlaken and Niagara.

it pays to have patience. some will start if you are lucky. better than not trying at all. try to keep from having them dry out. budding will draw out any resources the cutting has before root development. keeping the stem of the cutting moist may help keep the cutting alive until roots occur.

I stuck some into some dirt and are keeping them in the sun.

Keep late cuttings out of direct sun. You can even put them indoors till they start to bud. Then put them under shaded conditions. Not in direct sun. And keep them moist. Even mist the leaves if you can. Dirt is also not great as a planting medium. The best "soil" for cuttings is very well drained, but holds water. A high percentage of vermiculite and peat moss is recommended. But lacking that a 50/50 mix of small gravel and loam can also work. But soil alone is not ideal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back