Too hot for yeast?..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRob

Junior
Reaction score
I have an awful feeling that I may have just ruined my first ever batch of wine..

I moved into my new home in August and in oyr garden we have a huge Apple tree.

Originally I planned to make cider with them but then thought I would give Apple wine a go.

I had 12Kg of Apples that I have chopped up and put into my 25litre container with 4Kg of Sugar and 40grams of Citric acid.

The recipe that I was using said to chop up 2.75kg's of Apples at a time and simmer them in a pan with 4.5 litres of water. So I repeated that process 4 times and then added my Sugar and Citric acid at the end..

The mistake that I have made though was very soon after I added the packet of Yeast and Yeast nutirents.. It wasnt until after I done this I remembered that i was supposed to wait for the mixture to cool down!

In a bid to try and save it I have put the container into a bath full of cold water to cool it down quicker, but i worry it may be too late and that I have killed my Yeast?..

Any help greatly appreciated, I'll be very disappointed if I have wasted all those apples!!

I have an awful feeling that I may have just ruined my first ever batch of wine..

I moved into my new home in August and in oyr garden we have a huge Apple tree.

Originally I planned to make cider with them but then thought I would give Apple wine a go.

I had 12Kg of Apples that I have chopped up and put into my 25litre container with 4Kg of Sugar and 40grams of Citric acid.

The recipe that I was using said to chop up 2.75kg's of Apples at a time and simmer them in a pan with 4.5 litres of water. So I repeated that process 4 times and then added my Sugar and Citric acid at the end..

The mistake that I have made though was very soon after I added the packet of Yeast and Yeast nutirents.. It wasnt until after I done this I remembered that i was supposed to wait for the mixture to cool down!

In a bid to try and save it I have put the container into a bath full of cold water to cool it down quicker, but i worry it may be too late and that I have killed my Yeast?..

Any help greatly appreciated, I'll be very disappointed if I have wasted all those apples!!

I doubt it’s ruined. Worst case, pitch another package of yeast.

Correct, if it has cooled down to room temperature pitch some more yeast. In the future I would suggest using malic acid rather than citric acid. malic acid is the predominate acid in apple and would give you more of an apple essence. citric acid is good for berry wines.

Hello thanks for your replies. I shall have to get some more yeast tomorrow when the shops are open to do this. Will I need to add more Yeast nutient as well do you think?

Also am I right in thinking that for the first fermenation i should leave the lid of the container loose so that it can breathe and not use an airlock for the first 5 or 6 days?..

Hello thanks for your replies. I shall have to get some more yeast tomorrow when the shops are open to do this. Will I need to add more Yeast nutient as well do you think?

Also am I right in thinking that for the first fermenation i should leave the lid of the container loose so that it can breathe and not use an airlock for the first 5 or 6 days?..
Leave it loose it will help and no you don't need more yeast nutrient

Latest posts

Back