Too hasty! Need a little advice

Discussion in 'Forum Comments, Suggestions & Help' started by Tammy, Sep 30, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

Tags:
  1. Sep 30, 2018 #1

Tammy

Tammy

Tammy

Junior

I am making pear wine and following a recipe where you simmer the fruit, strain onto sugar, leave to cool and add yeast when it’s ‘blood temperature’

I tested it with my finger after a while and it seemed fine - added yeast and stirred. As I stirred I realise my silly mistake - just because the top had cooled, didn’t mean the whole volume of liquid had cooled sufficiently. It was still rather hot at the bottom.

I have popped it into a demijohn to see what would happen. Quite active at first... and now quiet. Think I have killed the yeast. Has anyone done this before? And can offer any solution?

Just was too hasty and didn’t think it through. Annoyed as It’s the last batch of pears off an allotment tree. Won’t make that mistake again!

Any votes for bunging in another bit of yeast tomorrow and see what happens?
    So sad
    X

2. Oct 1, 2018 #2

dralarms

dralarms

dralarms

Overboard as usual Staff Member Super Moderator

Go ahead and pitch another pack of yeast. Won’t hurt.

Oh and welcome to winemakingtalk

G259 and Ajmassa5983 like this.
  3. Oct 6, 2018 #3

Tammy

Tammy

Tammy

Junior

Thanks to everyone for their kind advice much appreciated! I binged another packet of yeast in and it’s been VERY active all week so looking good! Will be interesting to see what it’s like.

And thanks for the welcome - I’m a relative newby - my gran taught me when I was little and i dabbled in my 20s and coming back to it now. Love it