Too fast??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P2000

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks, I’m making a Classic Cabernet Sauvignon kit from Master Vintner. Day 1 SG was 1.110, by day 11 it is 0.996 with very little active bubbling. Instructions tell me this should be happenening more like day 15-20.

I understand the instructions are more of a guideline, but this seems awfully quick. Wood is still floating and it hasn’t cleared.

Should I just let it sit until it clears? And am I being too impatient? (Which is entirely possible) Thanks.

Hi folks, I’m making a Classic Cabernet Sauvignon kit from Master Vintner. Day 1 SG was 1.110, by day 11 it is 0.996 with very little active bubbling. Instructions tell me this should be happenening more like day 15-20.

I understand the instructions are more of a guideline, but this seems awfully quick. Wood is still floating and it hasn’t cleared.

Should I just let it sit until it clears? And am I being too impatient? (Which is entirely possible) Thanks.
Hi P2000, Fermentation can happen at a variety of rates and sometimes It really just takes off! My first one went through primary and secondary in about 10 days. I would say trust your equipment, if the hydrometer says that then it’s probably right as long as you are adjusting the reading for temp. Rack it off and put an airlock on it if you haven’t, and see if you do get any more bubble. If not stabilize it and move on!

I agree that you are probably done with fermentation, if it were me, I would rack it to a carboy, put it under an airlock, then let it sit like that for two weeks. That way you will know it is done, some less will do it. It will be time to rack it again, add Potassium metabisulphite and degassing it. Let it sit, add clearing agents and bottle. Since it is a Cabernet Sauvignon and you aren't going to backsweeten it, throw that potassium sorbate away. But that's just me.

The wine will ferment as fast as those little cells can do their thing. Unless a wine is extraordinarily slow to ferment, I wouldn't worry about how fast it finishes, especially with reds and darke wines. With white wines or delicate fruit wines, slower fermentations are desirable but faster fermentation is not automatically bad.

Bottom follow the numbers and when the SG bottoms out somewhere below 1.000 and stays there for 3 or more days, call it done.

Latest posts

Back