Too crude?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ang

Reaction score
I have made my crabapple wine by crushing the fruit into the pail and adding water/ additives. They, 2 6gal batches, have been stirred 2x a day for 4 days. The spiced apple was 1.136 and the pure Apple was 1.104. I intend to pour them through a strainer before filling the carboys. The recipe said to juice them and use only the juice before adding the yeast, why? What about apples shouldn't be fermented on the fruit solids like most recipes? I also wonder about the pectic enzyme if it works differently if it's added with the campden or with the yeast? I read it dies if it gets to hot, like yeast; is it "alive"?

Well, others will chime in but for me, I believe if those crabapples have pits(not that familiar with them) the pits could impart some unwanted bitterness.
Also, you will just have a bigger mess to deal with than just using the squeezed juice, when racking.
At a minimum, I would have put the apples in a mesh bag to make racking easier.

Wow, those batches are going to have some power. Plenty of alcohol in them.

Apple seeds contain a chemical that emits cyanide when it comes in contact with digestive enzymes. Swallowing an occasional apples seed isn't dangerous because the seed coat resists digestion, but swallowing crushed or chewed seeds is a bad idea.

I'm guessing here, because I don't know if the seed coat would resist fermentation, but just the fact that any seeds in your must are going to be there for days might be cause for concern.

The one batch I had lost count of my measures and the second was the extra one pound in the sugar bag. They are a bit stronger than I prefer. I find juicing ultimately makes a bigger mess than just straining out what's left, personally.

Apple seeds contain a chemical that emits cyanide when it comes in contact with digestive enzymes. Swallowing an occasional apples seed isn't dangerous because the seed coat resists digestion, but swallowing crushed or chewed seeds is a bad idea.

I'm guessing here, because I don't know if the seed coat would resist fermentation, but just the fact that any seeds in your must are going to be there for days might be cause for concern.

You would have to consume the seeds of 200 apples (chewed, not whole) to be a fatal dose for a 160 pound person. To get that much from drinking wine...I think the alcohol will kill you first! :D

You would do well to get those seeds out because of the potential for off flavors more than because of potential poisoning from the seeds.

Stems, cores and seeds from apples can give your wine an undesirable flavor if they are left in too long or if they are crushed enough.

Latest posts

Back