Tomato wine - my fastest ferment so far

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No question, my fastest ferment.
Just racked. Took about 40 hours to go from 1.09 to .991 and it's still going. This baby hit 93 F.
I used a mesh bag and 18lbs of tomatoes and was a little surprised that they almost completely disintegrated. I got a 3 gallon carboy and 1 gallon for topping up later.
Tastes ok so far. Didn't really detect tomato flavor.
The tomatoes were mostly Hungarian Heart (big, beefy, great for sauce) and a few pounds of others.
What a great hobby!
20220317_090905.jpg

I lost about 1/3 of my tomato ferment to heavy sediment. I went from three gallons out of primary to two. I am pleased with the taste; I oaked one gallon and one is un-oaked. My next tomato attempt will be just juice. I have a lot of juice in the freezer and canned juices so I'm hoping I won't have as much sediment. I do worry I may not have enough taste though. Guess we will see.

Did you have to add acid? My tomato wines have turned out awful, I did not measure acid or pH and I suspect I should have. Curious to know your recipe and/or process.

Here is the recipe I used. How to Make Tomato Wine - A Home Winemaker's Recipe
I made a 3 gallon batch and pressed/squeezed by hand and had a lot of solids. The flavor is good. I just hated to lose a gallon of solids. I may need to plan on a bigger primary batch and know that I will lose a lot in solids. I will try just juice but I'm sure the flavor will be different.
Don't fret if you don't like it. I'm not crazy about my banana and the coffee I made. Other folks on the forum love the flavors. Everyone is different.

Did you have to add acid? My tomato wines have turned out awful, I did not measure acid or pH and I suspect I should have. Curious to know your recipe and/or process.
Oh yeah. Still new at this so I don't have much in the way of testing equipment. I have narrow range test strips (2.0-4.0) to measure pH. I used 8tsp of acid blend to get it to around 3.6.

Here is the recipe I used. How to Make Tomato Wine - A Home Winemaker's Recipe
I made a 3 gallon batch and pressed/squeezed by hand and had a lot of solids. The flavor is good. I just hated to lose a gallon of solids. I may need to plan on a bigger primary batch and know that I will lose a lot in solids. I will try just juice but I'm sure the flavor will be different.
Don't fret if you don't like it. I'm not crazy about my banana and the coffee I made. Other folks on the forum love the flavors. Everyone is different.
My recipe was almost identical except for quantity of ingredients and I used 71B. Oh, and no oak chips. I haven't gone down that road yet.

I tried something different this time. On day 1 after everything was added and mixed I got the drill paddle out and whipped that baby until it foamed. It was all settled down the next day when I added the yeast. I wonder if the extra oxygen was responsible for the fast ferment. I checked my notes - I've never had a ferment over 90 degrees until this one.

I lost about 1/3 of my tomato ferment to heavy sediment. I went from three gallons out of primary to two. I am pleased with the taste; I oaked one gallon and one is un-oaked. My next tomato attempt will be just juice. I have a lot of juice in the freezer and canned juices so I'm hoping I won't have as much sediment. I do worry I may not have enough taste though. Guess we will see.
Yeah, I'm really curious about the sediment, too. To have all those tomatoes almost completely disappear was a big surprise.

I strained through a fine sieve and thought I had all the seeds and shins but the sediment was so fine it settled fast. I don't have my notes with me but I can check to see how long it took to settle when I get home.

I added about 2 1/2 tsp acid blend per gallon. Edited to add that I see I added water to 1 1/2 gallons but my final result was 1 gallon after racking off lees, so I am sticking with 2 1/2 tsp acid blend per gallon. It turned out good! 😂

1647627619623.png

Last edited:
I strained through a fine sieve and thought I had all the seeds and shins but the sediment was so fine it settled fast. I don't have my notes with me but I can check to see how long it took to settle when I get home.

Yeah, settling fast. 24 hrs into the carboy I have about a half inch. Still bubbling but slowing down.

I added about 2 1/2 tsp acid blend per gallon. Edited to add that I see I added water to 1 1/2 gallons but my final result was 1 gallon after racking off lees, so I am sticking with 2 1/2 tsp acid blend per gallon. It turned out good! 😂

View attachment 85861

That's the unfortunate part with homegrown tomatoes. If I like this batch I'll never be able to exactly make it again. I grow 2 or 3 varieties every year but then I'll also grow 3 or 4 new ones.

@BigDaveK The batch pictured is different than the one from the recipe. I got some free tomatoes from a friend of a friend who had a farm with lots of late tomatoes and a freeze was predicted. This was in October in Minnesota!! So I have no idea what kinds they were. (The farmer just said "all kinds" when I asked.)

That batch is still to be bottled, but if I recall correctly from taste testing, I don't think there was a big difference in taste from my first batch. But I do intend to do a side by side comparison when I get around to bottling the 2nd batch.

I got 2 gallons + about 2 liters from the 3 gallon carboy pictured. I put 10 multicolored crushed peppercorns in one of the gallons, hoping for a bit of spiciness. Those are my last remaining wines from 2021 to be bottled - that's on the list for early April.

Of course, when I realized almost everything was bottled, I started 2 kits.😂🤣😂 So many plans, so little remaining room for storage! I do have enough bottles for the tomato wine but not sure about the 2 kits + the pineapple backsweetened with pina colada mix on deck after that, and and and ...

Of course, when I realized almost everything was bottled, I started 2 kits.😂🤣😂 So many plans, so little remaining room for storage! I do have enough bottles for the tomato wine but not sure about the 2 kits + the pineapple backsweetened with pina colada mix on deck after that, and and and ...

I know!! I only have 1 wine in a small primary bucket right now and no shelf storage for my big buckets. Might as well keep them on the bench. But an empty bucket on the bench is a horrible waste of space, so.......
What a great hobby!

Update!
My tomato wine, 10 days in secondary, no fining agents.
I had to sneak a taste this morning. I AM BLOWN AWAY! SHOCKED! No tomato taste. Bit hot at 13% ABV. Some described it as almost a chardonnay. Yeah, I can see that. I like it so much I just may keep a couple bottles dry. Plenty of time, we'll see where this goes.
This was a crazy, whimsical wine experiment that I'm VERY happy with.
Let's see....18 #'s of tomatoes for 4 gallons and last year I harvested 160 #'s. Hmm....

20220328_080711.jpg

To bump this thread and report on my tomato wines. The first batch was approx 3 gallons; 6 lbs fresh tomatoes, 2 qts half-dry frozen pulp - lost one gallon to pulp and gross lees (even after straining). Two gallons. One gallon was oaked and the other was not oaked. Started on 10/3/21. Today, the oaked is too close to VA (vinegar) [I'm really sensitive]. The unoaked is naturally degassed and nice. I might like a little more mouth feel - my son and daughter in law will give the final verdict this weekend.

Second batch is pure juice from home canned tomatoes (draining the juice from cold packed quarts). started on 3-28-22. Still some residual pulp and CO2 but the taste is good.

Since I want a little more mouthfeel in all three gallons but I'll toss in some liqui-gum (gum abraic) . I may back sweeten the oaked gallon but maybe not the other two.

An interesting experiment that I will try again! So many twists and ways to make tomato wine. Much better than the tomato jam experiment.

View attachment 85861

View attachment 85861

An interesting experiment that I will try again! So many twists and ways to make tomato wine. Much better than the tomato jam experiment.
That's interesting about the oak.
Like I said above I used about 18 lbs fresh for 4 gallons. The last time I snuck a taste I was shocked. It was really good dry! I may bottle some dry, some lightly sweetened. We'll see, still months away. I'm hoping to bottle and taste before this years harvest to decide how much to make.

Usually I can my tomatoes as salsa, pizza sauce, and a Rotel clone. Since I added wine last year I increased the number of plants this year.

Oh, I think I made tomato jam 2 years ago. It was pretty good but I wouldn't make it every year.

Latest posts

Back