Today’s harvest: Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those small berries gives you a higher skin to juice ratio, which can possibly yield a little more color, tannin, and richness in the end.

Numbers are in
pH is 3.64 and the TA is 0.62%
acid is just a little low and I like the pH to be closer to 3.6
1.111 SG, or 27 Brix
this is going to be a big wine

but the grapes look great. This will be a blender wine, so I am debating if I should add any tartaric.

Last edited:
My grapes will probably be coming in a couple weeks. This will be my first batch from grapes. I also will be using the “poor man’s destemmer” and have a couple of questions:

1) The winemag video for this type of distemper stated that 100 lbs takes about 1 hour. Wonder how long it took you to do this?

2) This looks like you destemmed outside. Did you encounter any fruit flies? Or are you not concerned about this because the So2 add afterwards?

Pics look like fun. Cannot wait!

It took about 1 hour to destem with the milk crate. You develop a rhythm after a while. I hold the cluster by the stem and pull while pushing the cluster against the grate with the other hand. It is cheap but there are many uncracked berries. I did not have problems with fruit flies. You cannot do much to stop fruit flies anyway. The potassium metabisulfite will handle all the wild yeasts and bacteria in the grape must.

Happy winemaking!!!

Ferment is headed towards completion on the Merlot. I pitched yeast on 9/9 at 1.111 SG and on 9/17 it has reached 1.030

This has been the longest ferment time I have experienced, and I am happy. I used Chr Hansen Merit yeast instead of my usual choice of Scott D80, due to the high brix grapes. Also, as I pointed out in another thread, my poor man's destemmer did not crush grapes well and I have about 50% whole berries. I may be getting free carbonic maceration in the process. This wine is tasting very fruity compared to my machine crushed Cab.

The Merlot at this stage, with its residual sugar and slight fizzyness is actually pleasant and easy drinking. I could imagine trying to corny keg a wine like this.

Ferment is headed towards completion on the Merlot. I pitched yeast on 9/9 at 1.111 SG and on 9/17 it has reached 1.030

This has been the longest ferment time I have experienced, and I am happy. I used Chr Hansen Merit yeast instead of my usual choice of Scott D80, due to the high brix grapes. Also, as I pointed out in another thread, my poor man's destemmer did not crush grapes well and I have about 50% whole berries. I may be getting free carbonic maceration in the process. This wine is tasting very fruity compared to my machine crushed Cab.

The Merlot at this stage, with its residual sugar and slight fizzyness is actually pleasant and easy drinking. I could imagine trying to corny keg a wine like this.
Wow!!! That Merlot will be approaching 16% ABV if it goes to .995.......... right at the tolerance level for Merit.

Back