WineXpert Toasted Marshmallow Dessert/Port style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started this kit just now.

Nov 17, 2017 SG 1.129 Added a tiny bit of the f-pack, maybe 5%. Added the 30gr toasted oak powder. Pitched the two packets of EC-1118.

I found it surprising that the box doesn't say Winexpert anywhere, just Global Vintners.

Anyone making or made this kit?

Last edited:

Nov 17, 2017 SG 1.290 Added a tiny bit of the f-pack, maybe 5%. Added the 30gr toasted oak powder. Pitched the two packets of EC-1118.

I found it surprising that the box doesn't say Winexpert anywhere, just Global Vintners.

Check that SG again, 1.29 has enough sugar to get your ABV in the 40%+ range. The yeast won’t do it of course, but it’d be super sweet when finished. Make sure you read it right, or didn’t use too little water. Maybe that’s what it’s supposed to be......never made that kit.

Check that SG again, 1.29 has enough sugar to get your ABV in the 40%+ range. The yeast won’t do it of course, but it’d be super sweet when finished. Make sure you read it right, or didn’t use too little water. Maybe that’s what it’s supposed to be......never made that kit.

Typo, meant 1.1290
Corrected original post.

Nov 17, 2017 SG 1.129 Added a tiny bit of the f-pack, maybe 5%. Added the 30gr toasted oak powder. Pitched the two packets of EC-1118.

My understanding is that Global Vintners is the parent company/organization of Winexpert and Vineco.

That sounds much better!! I’ll be curious to hear how it comes out, it sounds great!

This dessert wine kit came with 30gr toasted oak dust for primary and oak cubes for later on, yes it is very interesting, we'll see how it goes.

This dessert wine kit came with 30gr toasted oak dust for primary and oak cubes for later on, yes it is very interesting, we'll see how it goes.

Hey there. I am probably one of a a very small minority of people that don’t like oak in my wine. I know this kit is a toasted marshmallow and it makes sense to use oak. Any thoughts on leaving oak out? Or subbing cacao nibs instead of oak?

Cheers!
Brigitte

Hey there. I am probably one of a a very small minority of people that don’t like oak in my wine. I know this kit is a toasted marshmallow and it makes sense to use oak. Any thoughts on leaving oak out? Or subbing cacao nibs instead of oak?

Cheers!
Brigitte

Cacao sounds like a good idea, I could use a little bit of it too, at the same time I think that using oak for this one makes sense.

SG ~1.040, waiting for it to drop to 1.020 to chaptalize, I hope it gets to that level by tomorrow night as I'm going away for 2 days...
First time I see EC-1118 with such a small sign of fermentation, this is most likely due to the room temp being cool.

SG ~1.040, waiting for it to drop to 1.020 to chaptalize, I hope it gets to that level by tomorrow night as I'm going away for 2 days...
First time I see EC-1118 with such a small sign of fermentation, this is most likely due to the room temp being cool.

How’s it doing today ? Fermentation pick up?

SG ~1.022

The instructions call for adding the chaptalization pack (400gr) when at or below 1.020, but decided to go for it now.
I never used this type of chaptalization pack before, always simple sugar syrup, and not sure what to say, powder sugar with something else?
I saw tiny bits of round yellowish stuff and the smell.....well honestly like cat pee :ft

Just hoping this turns out good, after adding chaptalization pack the SG ~1.034

SG ~1.022

The instructions call for adding the chaptalization pack (400gr) when at or below 1.020, but decided to go for it now.
I never used this type of chaptalization pack before, always simple sugar syrup, and not sure what to say, powder sugar with something else?
I saw tiny bits of round yellowish stuff and the smell.....well honestly like cat pee :ft

LOL! Many times, with the added sugar, there are some yeast nutrients incorporated to help get the yeast to the finish line. That’s probably what you are smelling.

Cat pee. . Oh my. Good luck!! I am sure it will be fine !!
SG ~1.022

pee

It went to ~0.998 so racked most of it and only tossed a little bit of gross sediment.

It’s a bit disappointing that this kit does not really bring 12L of juice but maybe close to 11L I think. After racking to the 3gal glass carboy the head space seems to be more like 2 1/4 gallons.
Yes, I know there’s an fpack but it is a very small fpack. But at the same time I think this won’t be overly sweet.
Will add the flavor pack tomorrow followed with chitosan.

IMG_1511719900.083694.jpg

It went to ~0.998 so racked most of it and only tossed a little bit of gross sediment.

It’s a bit disappointing that this kit does not really bring 12L of juice but maybe close to 11L I think. After racking to the 3gal glass carboy the head space seems to be more like 2 1/4 gallons.
Yes, I know there’s an fpack but it is a very small fpack. But at the same time I think this won’t be overly sweet.
Will add the flavor pack tomorrow followed with chitosan.

View attachment 44929

Will you top up with something after adding F pack? We had a kit that just didn’t bring the total level to where it needed to be .. thank goodness we had a bottle of something similar to top up with on hand.

Will you top up with something after adding F pack? We had a kit that just didn’t bring the total level to where it needed to be .. thank goodness we had a bottle of something similar to top up with on hand.

I had good success using red wine like Super Tuscan or similar, so maybe I’ll go that route again since the flavor pack is what mandates most of the profile at the end, Plus I will add brandy or ever clear down the road.

Latest posts

Back