WineXpert To tweak or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinolan

Reaction score
Hello: I'm starting my second kit soon, a WE Selections Original Valpolicella (style). After being sorta disappointed with the light body and low alcohol level of the first kit I did, a Gran Cru Pinot Chardonnay, I want to make sure this second attempt has a little more uumph. Has anyone made this kit, and would anyone recommend adding maybe bananas to bulk it up a little? I know the WE kit has 15l of juice where the GC had only 10, so I expect the body to be better. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

I have not mde many W.E. kits in red wine as I was not to thrilled with the K.T.(kit taste) they exzume, its a candy like sweetness, so I cant help you there. I can say that over time this kit taste goes mostly away. As far as full bodied goes it will most likely will be better then the Grand Cru as Ive done a few of those when I first started and know what you mean about a thin wine as I gave all mine away because I didnt like the watered down wine. If I were to tweak this kit I would use post fermentation tannins and maybe even raisins in primary and possibly even more oak. I prefer doing the grapeskin wine kits as they always come out full bodied and thats all I will ever do anymore.

I too agree about adding raisins to the primary. After fermentation you will be surprised with the body compared to your 1st kit. Your upper end kits are much better then the entry kit.
Im either case taste, and look at the body when you are aging the wine. If then you need or want more body you can add glycerine or banannas. Adding more oak that comes with the kit would also help.

Mike:

To me Valpolicella is a lighter bodied red. You probably should have bought a heavier bodied wine.

I have not made the Selection Original Valpolicella, but we are currently drinking a Legacy Valpolicella (equivalent kit to Selection Original). Definitely a lighter red.

Steve

Valpolicella I a weaker version of Amarone wine made almost the same without doing the sun dried grape technique. It consists of typically 70% Corvina grapes and the remainder being Molinara and Rhondinella. It is classified as a medium bodied wine.

Hey guys,
Yea, I know valpolicella is a medium bodied wine and I should have bought a "bigger" kit, but the selection at the store was kinda limited at the time. I was interested in an amarone with grapeskins, but didn't want to wait for it to come in. That shows the impatience of a beginner. Anyways, if I did add glycerine, raisins or bananas, would those raise the sweetness (which I don't want) the wine also, or just give more body (which I do want)? Next time, definitely a kit with grapeskins.

Thanks,
Mike

If you add the raisins in the primary then it will not make the kit sweeter but it will up the abv just a little. Dont get us wrong, it will make a very nice wine all by itself.

Got ya, wade. I just wanted to try something a little different though. I'm gonna think on it and decide what to do. Thanks to everybody, Mike.

Latest posts

Back