WineXpert To Stir or Not to Stir - before racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjgaul

Carboy Addict
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a follow-up to other threads relating to the application of skin pacs directly into the must vs. using the mesh bag provided. I attempted the former last year and had quite the time with the initial racking out of the fermenter. The next couple batches I used the bag. However, after reading a thread which showed some PVC and other straining tubes around the siphon I decided I would go bagless again. I happen to work in place where 2.5" diameter SS tubing is in very good supply and one of our maintenance gentlemen made me a really nice tube with an end cap. I intend to wrap both the tube and the end of the siphon in mesh fabric for the racking.

I have 2 batches going (Eclipse OV Zin & Sommelier Select Cab) which have been in the primary for just about a month. The current plan is to rack in the next couple weeks. I am only stirring every 2nd or 3rd day at this point and am topping off with CO2 from a tank.

The skins have really decomposed. They accumulate in a thick mass at the bottom after a day or two and create a wine slurry when stirred.

Finally the question . . . is it better to stir this up before racking or let it settle as much as possible and be real gentle when inserting the drilled tube and siphon? I'd be interested what others have done and how well it worked.

it is better to have the pomace settle and then rack do not stir. stirring will only suspend the solids in the liquid and become part of the liquid being transferred generating a large amount of sediment.

Thanks . . . that makes sense. It's been settling out for 3 days now. I think I will attempt to rack it in the next couple days. Appreciate the advice.

it is better to have the pomace settle and then rack do not stir. stirring will only suspend the solids in the liquid and become part of the liquid being transferred generating a large amount of sediment.

Back