To Sparkeloid or Not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
I have always clarified with Sparkeloid (reds) Bentonite (whites). All but 1 (pear due to excess pulp) have cleared in about 1 month. I rack 2 weeks after that point and then bulk age.

My question, if you don't add those ingredients and let it clear naturally how long does it take and do you notice a taste difference without those ingredients?

I would think all the extra racking would not be good (especially for the whites) as your slowly oxygenating them at each rack.

Oxygen (to a point) is actually good for wine hence he reason lots are aged in oak barrels for micro-oygenation. As long as yu have sulfited your wine properly youll be fine for the small amount of 02 added to your wine. As far as hong long it will take, that is a question that will vary intensely to each wine depending on how much solids are in each wine, what temp you keep your wines at cause wine degasses better at warmer temps therefore lettig your wine clear more easily, and if you have used enough pectic enzyme or not. Thee are some that will just clear by themselves right after fermentation is over and others that will take lots of time or never clear by themselves.

I understand in reading in a book I have that if you use Sparkolloid you HAVE to filter. Or it can drop deposits for years that end up looking like swirling smoke in your bottles. True?

sparkolloid can be very good in fining white wines... however, if produces very fine lees so it is generally recommended to bulk age/settle for at least 30 days after application to be sure everything has precipitated out. filtering is not necessary unless you desire to rush right into bottling. i have seen it effective at removing protein haze from white wines.

Sparkeloid grabs all the impurities in the wine and drops them to the bottom of the carboy. I'll wait 6 weeks then rack wine and bulk age about 10 months. You don't need to do that long but it greatly improves the taste.

I've never heard of it leaving a haze. Maybe they never racked it off.

I dont believe thats true about that product. I have never used it but dought the product would still be on the market or carried at many places if that was true.

Latest posts

Back