To Press Or Not To Press?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
I have always pressed my apples and pears for fresh juice to ferment. I have also read about others cutting up and fermenting with some water for awhile, then removing the fruit before it oxidizes.

Is one better than the other? After pressing I'll add just a little water and sugar to make about 6 gallons to yield a good 5 gallons when all is said and done. Would you get more flavor allowing the flesh of the fruit to be a part of fermentation?

I plan on making some peach and water melon wine this year and was curious.

I think using pure juice is the better option for flavour personally..

Having made apple wine by grating the apples through the food processor and adding water .. then straining the fruit out a week later after primary fermentation.. juice is better.

oxidation isn't an issue if you add citric acid at the beginning.. there's no browning of the juice.

I don't have a press so my apples and pears go through the breville juicer before fermenting.

Allie

My first batch of apple was made as Allie describe. My second and current batch is being made with store bought 100% juice. I'll likely be making more of this since we like it so much. Trax Farms will sell pre pasturized 100% juice in the fall. Bring your own container. I'll be picking up 7 gallons of that and may also try another batch like the first we did to compare the difference.

It will be a while before we can sample the 2nd batch of apple that we have going now but initial tastes are very good.

I mentioned Trax since it is local to both of us.

Doug, I'm going to be checking out several farms this year for quality and prices. Trax's cider apples were really expensive. They almost doubled in price within 3 years.
I plan on making strawberry and peach wine in addtion to my apple jack. I'll let you know when I bring my press out and you and the family could stop over. We could have a "BYOFnP" party. (Bring your own fruit n press).

Doug, I'm going to be checking out several farms this year for quality and prices. Trax's cider apples were really expensive. They almost doubled in price within 3 years.
I plan on making strawberry and peach wine in addtion to my apple jack. I'll let you know when I bring my press out and you and the family could stop over. We could have a "BYOFnP" party. (Bring your own fruit n press).

Sounds like a good time. I was quoted $3.00 per gallon for their fresh pressed juice. Didn't check their apple prices. The apples I bougth last year were from Janoski's in Clinton PA (heading towards Raccoon State Park) I think we will be trying more fruit wines this year since we are getting into this.

Fruit wines are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!, If you want to try a whole bunch come on over, Im not too far!

Latest posts

Back