WineXpert To Pitch or Not To Pitch...EC-1118

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRat

Reaction score
I just started the Eclipse NZ Sauvignon Blanc today (about an hour ago). I pitched the K1-V1116, but, after reading several posts on here, I am on the fence as to whether I should pitch the EC-1118. What are the pros and cons that I face if I were not to pitch it? Not sure is this helps, but temp was at 74 degrees and should fall to a steady 72, and the SG read 1.084 before first pitch. Any experience would be greatly appreciated. Please know that I am greener than my 6 week old Bravado currently sitting in a carboy. :D

I bought a kit once that came with two yeast packets, EC-1118 and some other. I thought it was a packaging mistake and just used the EC-1118. The wine finished just fine. I later found out that I was supposed to use both packets. So.. I'm guessing you can either pitch or not pitch both packets with the end result being nearly the same.

Basic rule of thumb, if you aren't sure why you should deviate from the instructions then don't. Assume that the kit manufacturer went to the extra expense of adding what they did because they found it necessary to help make foolproof decent wine. Once you're comfortable and know what you're trying to achieve with a tweak then go ahead and have fun.

I've done that kit twice. On the first one, I pitched the K1V116 a few hours before the EC1118. Second time, I pitched only the K1V116. Were it my wine, the later is the route I'd take. If it stalls for some reason, you can always throw the EC1118 in there.

Thank you, everyone, for your response. I'll post back later as to what I did and the end result - perhaps it will come in handy for a future newby like myself.

I've done that kit twice. On the first one, I pitched the K1V116 a few hours before the EC1118. Second time, I pitched only the K1V116. Were it my wine, the later is the route I'd take. If it stalls for some reason, you can always throw the EC1118 in there.

Agree....the EC1118 is a beast...in my mind it would bulldoze over the K1V116 and take over anyway if added at the same time.

The K1V116 may preserve or add something the the flavor. EC1118 will chew through any sugars and more of the flavors too. I think the kit manufactures want to make sure you can get it dry.

I have made that kit a couple times and just used the 1116 with no issues. I have also added the zest of a grapefruit after racking to secondary (a la Joeswine). Gives it more of a bite

Yesterday I tried something different on an Eclipse Bravado that had both RC212 and EC1118. Normally I just use the 212 and the kits finish with not issues. This time I started the kit with the 212. Yesterday @ SG 1.000 it was time to rack to the secondary. I removed the skin bag, pitched the 1118, sealed the bucket and attached an airlock. My hope is that by doing the complete fermentation in the bucket, I will get better lees compaction. These kits are famous for being hard to rack due to the huge amount of lees (3 inches worth)

good luck and cheers

Update: I only pitched the K1-V1116 and it seemed to do the trick nicely. It was rolling all week. Yesterday (day 6) the SG read 0.990 (74 degrees), so I racked to the secondary. Thanks for all suggestions!

Latest posts

Back