Other To Much Yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding more yeast than the recommended dosage does no more than helping the colony get established faster. It has no affect on the finished alcohol production, per say, as the production of alcohol is directly correlated to the amount of sugar in the must, which the yeast consume. Two byproducts are a result: 1) alcohol and, 2) C02.

I often add more yeast than is recommended. This is especially true for higher brix (gravity) must. I don't go crazy but add half more than recommended.

What are you fermenting? Or about to ferment?

Last edited:
Well...if ya dump a pound of yeast in a 6gal batch ya probably won't like the end result, but if ya put 2paks of 7g Yeast into a 6gal batch my guess is the end result will be A-ok. It doesn't give ya any more alcohol, just more lees at the bottom.

Cheers!

Yeast are canibalistic, if you put excessive yeast in a wine it will act as yeast nutrient, 1.5 grams per gallon of Fermaid O, ,,, (ie killed yeast) with a second gram of Fermaid K at 1/3 sugar is standard dosage.

One week on a fresh ferment will be aerobic so it is OK, in the half kilo package example yeast can rot in an anaerobic environment. I would rack off the yeast/ lees at the thirty day point or earlier unless I was stirring for Sur-Lees processing.

Adding more yeast than the recommended dosage does no more than helping the colony get established faster. It has no affect on the finished alcohol production, per say, as the production of alcohol is directly correlated to the amount of sugar in the must, which the yeast consume. Two byproducts are a result: 1) alcohol and, 2) C02.

I often add more yeast than is recommended. This is especially true for higher brix (gravity) must. I don't go crazy but add half more than recommended.

What are you fermenting? Or about to ferment?
Just fooling around with grape juice from the store, while waiting for my kit Wineexpert merlot, to complete settling down and aging, I'm just impatient but thanks for the input, you guys are great for us beginners.

Back