To many Raisins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
I starting a blackberry, Blueberry wine today. I wanted to add raisins to my fruit pack so I bought a big 20 oz box of natural sunmaide raisins.
I went to dump some into my fruit pack (Paint strainer) and almost dumped it all in. I though "What the heck probably will be good" then i tied up the fruit pack gave it a few good squeezes.
The fruit pack was so full it almost made my 7 gal fermenter over flow when I lowered it in. My question is this, Is there such a thing as to many raisins? Should I go down and pick some out? lol

Im more concerned about the sugar level then anything. I haven't taken a reading yet. I will here in an hour or two. I want to make sure all the sugar is devolved. Wont pitch the yeast till tomorrow

Tess said:
Im more concerned about the sugar level then anything. I haven't taken a reading yet. I will here in an hour or two. I want to make sure all the sugar is devolved. Wont pitch the yeast till tomorrow

Sounds like you have 1.2 lbs of raisins in 6 gallons of must. I wouldn't worry about it. You will get some sugar, but it will dilute in the volume you have.

I'll get a reading here in a little while. My fermenter is about to spill over I had to remove some of the must. Not much but I did. If its high I guess I will just top off with water instead of wine. lol

Tess said:
I'll get a reading here in a little while. My fermenter is about to spill over I had to remove some of the must. Not much but I did. If its high I guess I will just top off with water instead of wine. lol

Refrigerate that must and use it to top up the carboy when the time comes!

Just be aware that raisins are 50% sugar. So you did not add raisin flavor, nutrients but also a lot of sugar. So take that in consideration with your sugar calculations.

I hope you mashed them up. Or did you just drop them in ???
If you just dropped them in and remove them in a few days it will not matter much as the yeast will not have access to all sugar.

Also be aware that raisins are heavily sulphited so that may cause a problem with fermentation. Keep a close eye on this.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.nl/2007/11/rozijnen-raisins.html

Luc

theyre in the FP with the other fruit why wouldnt it add any flavor? they're rehydrated now and being squeezed every day with the rest of the fruit, Maybe I should add more energizer and nutiant

If I opened it now I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between them and the blueberry's so I hope it works out now

Yep. It was bothering me, I couldn't stop thinking about it. This fruit is expensive so I went down, took the fruit pack out and was going to see if I could get them out. At this point I cant tell a blueberry or blackberry from a raisin. I pitched the yeast this morning. Its starting to ferment now. I guess I will just have to watch it. Could it stall the fermentation? Is that what I need to be worried about?

Tess,

I use raisins all the time when I make fruit wines and have never had a problem with fermentation not starting. The small amount of sulphites on the raisins is insignificant compared to the amount of must you have in your fermenter. I wouldn't worry about fermentation not starting.
However, in the future when you add raisins to must it would be a good idea to smash or chop the raisins before adding.
Good Luck,

LOUMIK:try

well, dumped the fruit pack and added all new fruit. It got a few good squeezes over the last couple days. I hope it works out (fingers crossed) live and learn.

Just saw that Lou, I will remember next time. I dumped it. Had extra fruit in the freezer. Thanks ;) If I had your post first I might have stayed it out lol

So what am Im doing now? Im adding raisins. :) I just have to. I need more then a two Dimensional wine! I just poured boiling water over them. I will put them in the food processor in the morning and put them back in a Fruit Pack . Let me know if you think this is a big mistake or anything else you think I need to know!!

Oops. Sorry was meaning to write:

So you did not ONLY add raisin flavor AND nutrients but also sugar.

Luc

Well I just put them back in. Soaked them over night, rinsed them off and put them in the Food Processor

Latest posts

Back