To hybrid or not to hybrid in central NC?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.adams

Junior
Reaction score
I'm looking to plant about 10-20 vines next year for a home vineyard and I'm trying to pick out what variety to go with. Since I don't really need the cold resistance in NC as much, is the mold resistance of something like Marquette worth any flavor trade offs vs. traditional Vinifera? If I have to spray fungicides and pesticides regardless, then it sounds like the traditional varieties may be a better choice? I'm just getting started, so any advice is welcomed...

I think you are asking an interesting question. I am seeing growers of vinifera in your part of the country struggling with vinifera. Temperature in winter or ripening period seems to not be a problem. The problems arise with the humidity and rain. It seems that even with intense spray regimens, many are barely winning the battle against mildews and other diseases. I am in Northern Illinois, and grow Petite Pearl and Verona. We have very high humidity and at times similar rain patterns as well. I spray with Mancozeb and sulfur until July 1st, and afterwards basically nothing, and have never seen a hint of disease. There may quite well be good reasons to avoid vinifera and experiment with hybrids in your zone. Vinifera seems to do well in a Mediterranean hot dry climate, semi desert areas . Purchase some Marquette and Petite Pearl wine on line and see if you like them, you might be surprised. There is a reason the wine industry is rapidly growing in the upper Midwest. You mention insects. The only insects I have to deal with are Japanese Beetles a few weeks per year.

Last edited:
Where in NC? Central covers a lot of climate. There are some good wineries north and west of the Triad that are growing vinifera and hybrids.

Where in NC? Central covers a lot of climate. There are some good wineries north and west of the Triad that are growing vinifera and hybrids.
Just north-east of Lexington, which is about 15 miles south of Winston-Salem.

I haven't been to any wineries around Lexington, though I think my son and daughter-in-law have. Anyway, I suggest you check with them; go for a visit and try the wines and see if you can get the name of the vineyard manager - fount of info. I have been to Grove and Stonefield Cellars; both north of Greensboro/Winston-Salem. I know they are growing both hybrid and vinifera. Make a trip and talk to them too. I suggest going at a slow time on a weekday if possible. Check with your extension service. In Virginia we have the VA Tech research facility that is helpful. Mostly you need to do your research, try wines grown in the area, and give it a go.

Ha, small world, I've actually got gears turning to get some time with those exact two vineyards.

The last time I was at Grove the pouring room guy told me that the owner said if he was growing only one variety, he would grow Traminette. I think the winemaker at Stonefield is often pouring. I've been to the Divine Llama too. Good wine. Lot of Llamas. They stay busy so you might not get much info.

Back