To filter or not to filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwkbrown

DeerHunt
Reaction score
Good day all
I have a mango pulp wine that has cleared
Beautifuly!

My question is should I still filter my wine?

When should I filter and when should I not?

Is filtering recommended for fruit wines?

Thanks for suggestions and help!

IF the wine is crystal clear there's no need to filter.
There may be other opinions but a clear wine doesn't need filtering. Filtering primarily is to 'polish' a wine that is ALMOST perfectly clear. Other than that not much reason to filter.

How old is the wine?

IF the wine is crystal clear there's no need to filter.
There may be other opinions but a clear wine doesn't need filtering. Filtering primarily is to 'polish' a wine that is ALMOST perfectly clear. Other than that not much reason to filter.

How old is the wine?

Hi Scooter,

I started this in middle of October. I have added potassium sorbete and sparkloid last week I plan on leaving it a few more weeks and then Botteling. I am worried that filtering gives it a funny taste.

IMG_2341.JPG

A proper filter should not impart any tastes. If you are using a filter MADE for filtering wine that should not be an issue. As to bottleing... I don't bottle that fast, ever. I understand maybe wanting to have that carboy available for another batch but in the long-term you are going to be better off waiting to bottle at LEAST 6 - 9 months. Even 'clear' wines can surprise you and drop sediment. With a red or dark berry wine that's not such a visible thing until that last glass if poured, but with a white or light colored wine like Mango... that bottle with sediment is not going to look too appealing.

Latest posts

Back