WineXpert To Filter or not to Filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go, Joseph! Great link!

smiley32.gif

Joseph, do you post on the spagnols site much? I have tired of it lately.

There really is no rhyme nor reason for my filtering or not filtering. Most of the time it is reliant upon how longone wine has sat in bulk versus how quick I want another in the bottle.

I like the natural to happen, especially with fruit wines. I think excessive filtering especially open to the air will give more problems than you want. Racking and patience has worked quite well for my needs.

I've flip-flopped on the filtering issue. Right now I'm flopped. I don't think I'd filter every wine I make, but if I think it could be a real winner, I would filter. I wouldn't kick myself in the butt later if there'd be sediment at the bottom, of if it turned out to be a little cloudy.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Country Wine - I do not post to the spagnols site. I have also tired of it. Seems too repetitive of late.

Joe - I agree, racking and patience has worked for a few hundred years.

I do occasionallyfilter, however, it is based more on the need of a carboy to start another batch than any other factor.

I agree with both issues, also, and ditto on the spagnols 'forum'.

the problem I have been into lately is finding room to store wine and it takes up much less in the bottle, so not rush into the bottle, but not bulk aging much either.

Back