WineXpert To Filter or not to Filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first kit of Cab. Sauv. and I have a question regarding filtering wine. I am following the wine kit instructions and it suggests filtering with medium grade pads after pumping a minimum of 10 L of warm water through the filtering system to remove paper tast from the pads. However, the book I have read , "From Vines to Wines," by Jeff Cox suggests not to filter at all because it can remove the quality of the wine.

My bro-in-laws homemade Cab. Savu. wine is fantastic, but I hate the sediment that is inevitably at the bottom of the glass. He doesn't filter.

Please give me your take on this. I'll read them all.

Do you have a filter? If you are only doing kit wines, I would not bother with buying one. If you are near a shop that rents them out, it might be worth it. In my experience, kit wines will clear themselves beautifully 99% of the time, if you follow the directions. Homemade wine is different since the aerobic phase of fermentation has the fruit in it. I only have a Mini-Jet filter because sometimes homemade wines will remain cloudy for months even if no longer precipitating.

Welcome to this forum. I hope I have helped you.
smiley4.gif

Glenvall

Edited by: Country Wine

Olivia,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Ialso would like to welcome you to the forum! <?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape>
wave.gif

I agree with Country that there is no need to filter your wine made from kits. I tried to filter my first couple of batches with a gravity type filter because I was in a rush to finish it and discovered it was a lot of work for nothing.
banghead.gif

I have made over 100 kits since then without filtering and all my wines are sediment free! I use a time schedule of at least 3 weeks after fining for reds and 4 weeks for whites.

Don't be in rush to bottle up your wine before it is ready...especially a Cabernet since it needs aging anyway. Let it age in the carboy and this will guarantee all the fines have settled out!</v:image></v:shape>

luxhello.gif

Here is some great info from Winexpert on this subject:

<A name=43>Q: Why is it necessary to add the fining agents (package #4) before transferring the wine must off the sediment that has built up in the carboy bottom? Wouldn't it be more efficient for package #4 to be added after the sediment has been removed? It seems the clearing agent has to do more work to clear the wine by adding it with the sediment still in the carboy, especially when you're stirring this sediment up in the process.</A>

A: This one fools a lot of people, as it does seem at the outset that you'd want to get rid of the sediment first and then add the clearing agent, particularly when the wine in the carboy otherwise seems clear. The temptation is so great, many winemakers DO switch the steps themselves. This is not wrong - it's just less efficient, believe it or not.

The clearing, or fining, agents used in Winexpert's wine kits, whether it be chitosan or isinglass, both act more efficiently in clearing wine when they have a base of sediment to begin with. The sediment acts as a trigger mechanism which sends the finings into action in clearing out the mix of proteins, pigments, phenolics, dead yeast, etc.

Both the fining agents and the particles to clear out from the wine have either a positive or a negative charge. And just like in the movies, opposites attract. A negatively charged fining agent like bentonite will serve to bring together those particles having a positive charge, while positively charged fining agents like chitosan or isinglass will attract negatively charged particles. This process allows for the molecular weight structures of the particles to become larger: smaller particles join together to become larger particles, which in turn fall to the bottom of the carboy when their mass becomes great enough.

If the fining agents do not 'find' enough particles present in the wine must to join together into larger particles, the clearing process may stall, as there will not be enough small particles present to conglomerate into the larger particles which will fall out. Small particles on their own will remain suspended in the must, and the fining's efficiency is reduced.

This is why you must thoroughly stir the sediment when adding package #4, as it effectively mixes the fining agents and the particles together to start the clearing process.

Resist the urge to jump the gun on transferring, or racking, the wine! Trust the method behind the madness of Winexpert's instructions, and stir up that sediment with confidence!

Very good post, Masta. I have a hard time convincing others to transfer lees and stir sediment. Even in a non-kit wine from scratch, stirring up the sediment helps most of the time to pull solids and proteins down.

smiley32.gif

Thank you very much. I have a science degree and it makes more sense now. I appreciate your help.

Too bad I read these posts after I bought my wine filter (OK I like to buy stuff!!!
smiley36.gif
)
I got one of those 7 litre pressure tank pumps and filters, but the
good news is I got it on EBAY for $26.50 with 20 shipping charges and
it was supposedly only used once (I hope that's not because it's a
piece of junk..lol
smiley11.gif
) of couse the health
food store in Bangor Maine (only 1 hour away...starting to understand I
live in the deep woods) had filters for only 1.29 each so of course I
now have enough for life!!!
smiley2.gif
I haven't seen it yet it's still in a brown truck somewhere between Ohio and Maine.

That sounds like a really good deal ya got there, stinkie. Welcome to this forum. Have you been making wine long?

Well my first batch of island wildberry schiraz will be ready in a week or two, but being obsessive compulsive, I have two more batches brewing allready, one welches, one 23ltr anseptic kit white wine. the kits are the way to go for the newbies, my son wants to make everything the hard way so thats how we started with the welches. He made a batch 3 months ago, but its almost gone.
smiley5.gif

I like to make wine the hard way, too, but it ain't really that hard. Just read, read, read, and think about it, and if you need something to make a particular task easier, get it and use it.

What's wrong with obsessive compulsive?

I agree with Glenvall, but I also think you just need to use some common sense, and you can do just fine. It's not hard at all. I don't have the fancy equipment, but manage to make some wine too. I believe you can ease your winemaking experience with some gadgets, but they aren't always MUSTS (no pun intended). But to each his/her own, I guess.

Personally, I don't think "Welch's" is the hard way. To me, pressing would be hard. I do lots of petal/herb wines and infusion is just like brewing tea. You put it all into a bag, add water, add sugar, let it cool, measure SG, sprinkle yeast, and wait. Not a whole big difference than kits, if you ask me.

Sometimes it is hard to remember that I have been doing this for a while and others might not understand what I speak of when I am replying to questions and posts.

I agree. I have trouble remembering what the topic is about. But that's usually after a glass or two of my wine!
smiley2.gif

Funny. I think it is cool to have friends over and have a tasting party and then they all get interested in how it is made and I can talk for hours about it, especially lit on it.

Yes, my husband is tired of being the sole person to hear about yeast. He is convinced he tastes the yeast in every single bottle of wine of mine I open.

Maybe if you are more stingy with the end product, he will appreciate it more. Maybe not. Spouses can be difficult to second guess.

What was the topic again?

Filtering -- if you should or shouldn't.

I think it's in the eye of the beholder. Although at the beginning, when I got my filter, I said I would never NOT filter again.

I ahve changed my tune a little bit. Some wines clear so beautifully that I see no reason to filter.

I have a hand pump pressure filter coming towards me in a brown truch somewhere
smiley29.gif

I don't know where it is cause I have a incorrect tracking number I
only have fine and steril filters for it though, I hope I can get the
wine to go through the fine filter, I just bought the steril ones cause
they were there and cheap.
smiley14.gif

Just remember: No need totry and filtera wine that has sediment in it or that is still precipitating. Wait until it has dropped about all it is going to drop, then rack,then start with the coarsest filter. do not get in a hurry to filter the wine.

My wine filter came today, it's the one with a 7ltr pump tank like a garden sprayer, it doesn't have directions and the Y hose is missing, has anyone ever used one of these units, it looks simple enough, I'm pretty sure the pressure hose goes to the single inside plate and the outlet is the two conectors comming from the outside plates and you use two filters at a time, I think you need to run a gallon of water through it first and then run some campden through, then your wine. Any thoughts?
smiley1.gif

Stinkie, I think Martina might have one sorta like it.

When you get tired of it, George has a good price on the Buon Vino Mini-Jet.

Latest posts

Back