To de-gas or not to de-gas...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
So if I skip a deliberate de-gas and just let it happen on its own (via bulk aging) and I not achieving the same thing? By doing so, I can avoid the step altogether. I was going to buy one of those agitator attachments for a drill to assist with this but now I'm thinking of all together avoid it.

Thoughts?

Get a drill-mounted stirring rod. It's very helpful when creating a must, whether it's kits or fresh fruit, and also helps when backsweetening or adding glycerin.

The normal protocol is to add K-meta every 3 months during bulk aging. However, if the container is undisturbed (e.g., carboy not opened), I'm going with a 6 month schedule. For barrels, I'm sticking with the 3 month schedule as I have to open the barrel monthly to top up.

Didn't even think of using one when adding glycerin. Great idea.... always wonders the best method of mixing it well with a wine. So it isn't just for degassing..

Thanks

Are y'all doing this at the end of 2nd Ferm?
I give it a vigorous stir when I put it in the secondary. To be fair most of my “aged” wines are going on a year already and they seem to be done with off-gassing. I’ll stir well when I stabilize then let it sit another week or so before bottling.

I never use sorbate. Should I?
If you are backsweetening, normally yes. Dry wines don't need sorbate, as there is no sugar to ferment.

If you step feed a wine until the yeast poisons itself, or fortify to at least 18% ABV, there is also no need.

OTOH, @Rice_Guy bulk ages wines at least 10 months, and by that time the yeast is dead so it can be backsweetened without sorbate. I haven't tried it myself, as the wines I backsweeten I don't typically bulk age that long.

I'm going to bottle an elderberry soon, bulk aged 5 months, and plan to reserve 4 liters to bulk age another 6 months, then backsweeten. I know bulk aging long enough works, but using sorbate is so engrained in me that I have to do a limited test to prove it to myself.

So if I skip a deliberate de-gas and just let it happen on its own (via bulk aging) and I not achieving the same thing? By doing so, I can avoid the step altogether. I was going to buy one of those agitator attachments for a drill to assist with this but now I'm thinking of all together avoid it.

Thoughts?
I degass and bulk age for 12 months. Don’t want any surprise fizziness.

Latest posts

Back