To core or not to core?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobpf

Junior
Reaction score
All,

I am getting ready to do a pear wine. I have a new fruit crusher and press. I am planning on crushing the pears and pressing out the juice before starting fermentation. As this is my first time crushing fruit I would like to know if others first core their fruit before crushing? Seems like a lot of work considering I have 100 lbs of pears! My feeling is to treat this like my Pinot Noir being careful during the press to not crush to many of the seeds. I would be very interested in others insight.

Thanks

I would core them by using 1 of these cheap little tools that make this and many other fruit jobs quick and easy. Check out this link.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gPZ7gY6jA[/ame]

"...pear seeds..., have enough amygdalin that you can taste it; a bitter medicinal taste"..."Amygdalin is claimed to be an anti-cancer compound. It releases toxic cyanide when digested."

not good for you in large amounts .... (this applies to apples and other fruits as well as well

many resources out there as well but here is the one im quoting from http://vegpeace.org/rawfoodtoxins.html

I have never decored my pears or apples although I don't press the crap out of them. I'll press and when the juice slows that pulp and skins gets tossed into the garden and I'll press a new batch. The sweetest juice pours off first.

I kind of figured the seeds would come through the crusher primarily in tacked and it would just be a matter of not pressing the snot out of the pomace. I appreciate everyones input and would still be interested in others take on this subject.

I kind of figured the seeds would come through the crusher primarily in tacked and it would just be a matter of not pressing the snot out of the pomace. I appreciate everyones input and would still be interested in others take on this subject.

When I press I'm doing a buschel to a buschel and a half at a time I believe so yes most are soft trapped in the pumace.

Out of curiosity, do you use rice hulls in your press? I know this really helps when pressing grapes and thought I would use the same technique when pressing these pears.

Out of curiosity, do you use rice hulls in your press? I know this really helps when pressing grapes and thought I would use the same technique when pressing these pears.

Never heard of that so my answer is noooooooo.

I think rice hulls definitely helped...two pressings, the first pressing (majority of the bulk) I got about 2.5 gallons, second pressing with rice hulls I pulled a 1.5 gallons of juice. Sure would be nice to own a bladder press...;)

:mnyI think rice hulls definitely helped...two pressings, the first pressing (majority of the bulk) I got about 2.5 gallons, second pressing with rice hulls I pulled a 1.5 gallons of juice. Sure would be nice to own a bladder press...

Like above Core the fruit and slice. Freeze if you can before starting.

Why would I freeze before sending it through the crusher and into the press? Also, I have already crushed and pressed it out.

Latest posts

Back