Quantcast

To chap or not to chap? Dolcetto juice bucket

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time no post. Anyway, I picked up juice buckets yesterday, two lambrusco and two dolcetto. The dolcetto was a little active at the blow off vent of the bucket so I assumed that fermemtation had started. The must was cool enough to form water condensation on the bucket.

I transferred the juice from both buckets to a 60l fermenter and the SG was only 1.060 or 15 brix. My first thought was that the the sugar content was low to begin with. Now I wonder if the juice started with a higher sg/br. I don't need another round of rocket fuel!

BC

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
check with the suppler to see if yeast had been added

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
You should check with the Mfg or supplier regarding the initial brix/sg. I haven't used these type of pails, but many are pre-balanced for acid and sugar before packaging.

Ebonheart

Reaction score
That value is really low. Even at 40 degrees must, the adjustment is only a few hundreds on the hydrometer. I'd let it warm up a bit, and grab a pound of corn sugar in the meantime.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Pretty sure your wine has been fermenting, despite the temperature. You leave a container of orange juice in your fridge for a bit, and it'll start fermenting. I can't imagine anyone selling juice at 1.060.

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I have to agree that for the few years I've been fermenting juice buckets they've been consistent with SG ~1.080-1.100. Unless I hear otherwise from the vendor, I am not going to chap the must.

BC

Latest posts