To breathe or not to breathe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedart

Reaction score
So after the SG is down to 1 or lower is there any necessity to employ the air lock?

Not really since the wine is loaded with co2 even if its done producing it. For some people this is standard practice to airlock then. With grapes you’ve got a cap of skins to help protect. With juice you can transfer at that point, put on a lid with an airlock to go dry, or just roll as is with lid loose or towel.
I guess as long as you’ve got your reasons for whichever way you choose- then there is no wrong way.

Not really since the wine is loaded with co2 even if its done producing it. For some people this is standard practice to airlock then. With grapes you’ve got a cap of skins to help protect. With juice you can transfer at that point, put on a lid with an airlock to go dry, or just roll as is with lid loose or towel.
I guess as long as you’ve got your reasons for whichever way you choose- then there is no wrong way.
So you can continue to use the air lock on the carboy for one, two, maybe even three years?

So you can continue to use the air lock on the carboy for one, two, maybe even three years?

Sure. I’ve got carboys under airlock that are over 1 yr. either that or the vented waterless bungs. I Almost never use a solid bung regardless of how old. Properly sulphited and topped up there’s nothing to worry about.

Back