To Bottle or not to bottle, that is the question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
The question should be: To buy more carboys or not to buy more? OR where the hell am I going to store more full carboys? OR Is 1 year bulk aging enough?
Damn you Wine Gods> :)

Mike for me it's a carefully coordinated plan to maximize my wine. If I bottle this then I can rack into this and start this. It would be easier to just buy more carboys.

LOL! I'm out of carboys to... Mine aren't near bottling time though... Think I might try to talk hubby into more carboys, but he's tired of looking at the ones I have. I think this is the age old debate... Space vs. Patience!

Now IF he also drinks wine, case closed get more carboys.

SWMBO here drinks alot so I have aging carboys all over the house.

Look below "fermenting"

WOW! What a list! LOL! Hubby's not a wine drinker, and I don't drink much... So I doubt he'd go for that... At least until I start his beer! LOL!

but I already have 14, I don't want to move the winery into Living Room. Some of the wine has been bulk aging for 1 1/2 yrs so I could bottle it. You see it is like this, I have empty primaries that demand to be filled, I have grain and hops, I have frozen berries. Whats a guy to do?????????Wahahahahahah

BTW am kinda liking this beer making thingy too. should do this back when I still drank beer

but I already have 14, I don't want to move the winery into Living Room. Some of the wine has been bulk aging for 1 1/2 yrs so I could bottle it. You see it is like this, I have empty primaries that demand to be filled, I have grain and hops, I have frozen berries. Whats a guy to do?????????Wahahahahahah

Make BEER :b:b

Your for sure bulk aging way more than most folks! I have 10 "boys" and that is all I will ever have. I bulk age 6-8 mo max for a red. 3-4 months for a white. Nothing wrong with bottle aging!

Your for sure bulk aging way more than most folks! I have 10 "boys" and that is all I will ever have. I bulk age 6-8 mo max for a red. 3-4 months for a white. Nothing wrong with bottle aging!

Ok Mike, you are the first one I ever heard say that's all I will ever have. So tomorrow you find someone is getting out of it and has 6 gallon carboys for 15.00, "no thank you I have enough". Do you really think so? Whats even harder is living so close to so much available fresh juice and finding so many you like.

Mike
Who you talking about?

Ha! Certainly not you Tom! Good thing I finally neutered those "boys"! :sm 10 "chillin" is plenty!

I never said anything about barrels though did I! :sm

Ok Mike, you are the first one I ever heard say that's all I will ever have. So tomorrow you find someone is getting out of it and has 6 gallon carboys for 15.00, "no thank you I have enough". Do you really think so? Whats even harder is living so close to so much available fresh juice and finding so many you like.

From what I understand, one year of bulk aging is more than enough time---BOTTLE IT!!! :i

I am permanently "borrowing" some carboys from my Chiropractor... he's offered more, and I have declined!! I don't drink or give away enough to make more than I have now!! There is no point! So, I have as many as I'm ever gonna have too.

Debbie

I have started aging in Corny kegs since I now have a line on free ones. They will work as good as I think, I hope, I fill them, then preasurize them, then bleed off preasure. I am sure this leaves any air space full of co2. They do store easier than carboys because you can stack them

The other problem I have is that while I do have a great dedicated space, its pretty small. Approx 180 ft2. I am trying to figure out how to cram ~8 Brutes in there for a week this Fall for primary fermentation of my fresh grapes and still be able to move around.....

Since I really do not like bottling, I would of course just buy more carboys. Problem is, no matter how many carboys I buy and fill, when I go into my wine room, the wine still hasn't bottle itself. :tz

Ugh!

Note to self: Come up with a way to invent "self-bottling wine".....

Retire as a Gozillionaire! :sm

Latest posts

Back