Titration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afshinsadri

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys
sorry again for disturb.
this is my chart for making wine.
Citrus OrangePomegranate
Date28-Jan-207-Feb-20
Mash6L Juice+ 4L Water4.5L Juice + 3.5L Water
Orginal pH/TA-/--/-
Final pH/TA3.61/0.33.34/0.35
Sugar3Kg3Kg
Orginal SG(Befor Add Sugar)1.0401.040
Orginal SG(After Add Sugar)1.0801.092
Final SG0.98/13 Feb 20201.020/16 Feb 2020
Yeast(Cake Yeast)30g(4 Span)
11 Tablet
4.5 Span
11 Tablet
Date Rack 14 Feb
SG 1.045
16-Feb
Date Rack 23-Mar17-Mar
Date Rack 315-Apr-
Date Bottling26-May27-May

I have question about TA.

I use with Sodium Hydroxide 0.1M with this method :
30ml wine + 1.4ml Sodium Hydroxide for gain pH 8.2
and for calculate I use this:
(75*1.4*0.1)/30=0.3
like that is video I mentioned
so my TA is 0.3???
this is weird ...what is this ??

That's a very low TA number, but I don't know what is normal for those fruit juices. Assuming all your decimal points are in the right place, your calculations look correct.

Grape wine TA is usually 5-8 grams per liter as a reference.

If it is that low, the taste of the wine would be very flabby and not like a wine at all. Have you tasted it??

If it doesn't I would suspect that your Sodium Hydroxide is old and not the normality you think it is. There is probably some test you can do to determine what it really is, but I don't know what that is.

That's a very low TA number, but I don't know what is normal for those fruit juices. Assuming all your decimal points are in the right place, your calculations look correct.

Grape wine TA is usually 5-8 grams per liter as a reference.
Hi
Thank you for your information but I am not sure this is decimal point because I did every things like this video but maybe my Sodium Hydroxide is not 0.1M or this is bad or old..!!!

If it is that low, the taste of the wine would be very flabby and not like a wine at all. Have you tasted it??

If it doesn't I would suspect that your Sodium Hydroxide is old and not the normality you think it is. There is probably some test you can do to determine what it really is, but I don't know what that is.
Hi my dear friend
my citrus orange have very tough and strong taste but I guest it had MLF and so maybe relative to have low TA and else pomegranate wine have a little flabby taste and sweet.
I am so sad, I need to buy another Sodium Hydroxide for sure.

Hi
Thank you for your information but I am not sure this is decimal point because I did every things like this video but maybe my Sodium Hydroxide is not 0.1M or this is bad or old..!!!

Usually, if your NaoH is old, it is weaker, and it will take more of the NaOH to bring the pH to 8.2, resulting in a higher TA reading than one would expect. In your case, you have a reading which is lower than expected based upon the pH.
To have total confidence in the numbers, you should use fresh NaOH and make sure you know the concentration, AND you should calibrate your pH meter immediately before use at both 4.01 and 7.00. If your meter is off, you'll get a bad pH as well as a bad titration result (because you're using the meter to determine your endpoint at 8.2).
All that said, sometimes numbers don't mean squat, and you should trust your sense of taste. Try some bench trials with acid blend and see if you come up with a winner.

Are the people who think the TA is low overlooking the fact that these wines are about half juice and half water?

Didn't even look at what they were made up of. Given that, and if no other acid was added, the TA would be very low and taste very flabby. The pomegranate would be expected to taste very sweet as it has very little alcohol and a fair amount of sugar left, it would be at about 9.8 ABV. The Orange, I am assuming it didn't really get to 0.98, but rather 0.998.

I do hope that neither of these wines underwent MLF, with the high citric acid present in Orange juice and Pomegranate would not be a good thing.

Usually, if your NaoH is old, it is weaker, and it will take more of the NaOH to bring the pH to 8.2, resulting in a higher TA reading than one would expect. In your case, you have a reading which is lower than expected based upon the pH.
To have total confidence in the numbers, you should use fresh NaOH and make sure you know the concentration, AND you should calibrate your pH meter immediately before use at both 4.01 and 7.00. If your meter is off, you'll get a bad pH as well as a bad titration result (because you're using the meter to determine your endpoint at 8.2).
All that said, sometimes numbers don't mean squat, and you should trust your sense of taste. Try some bench trials with acid blend and see if you come up with a winner.
thank you so much but my pH meters was calibrate for used.
I am going to mad but my orange wine have good smell and taste also but pomegranate have good smell but sweet because have 1.020 :-l

Didn't even look at what they were made up of. Given that, and if no other acid was added, the TA would be very low and taste very flabby. The pomegranate would be expected to taste very sweet as it has very little alcohol and a fair amount of sugar left, it would be at about 9.8 ABV. The Orange, I am assuming it didn't really get to 0.98, but rather 0.998.

I do hope that neither of these wines underwent MLF, with the high citric acid present in Orange juice and Pomegranate would not be a good thing.
no my Orange SG is 0.98, I can bet with you 🙃
but my Orange wine have MLF before second rack but have good smell and taste even if with used yeast cake.

Latest posts

Back