Tis the season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askins3097

Reaction score
I’m not much of a fruit wine maker but it’s the season for fresh cider. I usually make 6 gallons every fall. It’s one of my favorites to make. So easy and relatively cheap.

I’m experimenting this year by adding 5 pounds of honey to my 6 gallons of cider, then using brown sugar to get my sg number where I want it. I’m going to adjust my ph as needed and use 71b yeast. After it’s all done and clear I’m going to back sweeten with a syrup made from brown sugar, a little cinnamon, and apple juice, plus sorbate of course. In years past I’ve never adjusted the ph and just made it dry which makes a nice dry white wine but we’ll see how this is turns out. If it pans out how I’m imagining it to, I think I’ll like it more.

Has anyone ever oaked apple wine? I have never tried it. I read in Germany they barrel their hard cider, but I’m thinking that may be referencing more of a beer type cider than a wine.

IMG_2028.JPGIMG_2029.JPG

Sounds like a good recipe.
You always use brown sugar and honey?
I am curious about the back-sweeten syrup it sounds delicious. What is your recipe for that?

I have used brown sugar and regular sugar in the past. It seems like brown sugar gives it just a little more flavor and body. Not that noticeable unless you tried the two side by side. This is the first time trying honey. This will also be my first time with the back sweetening syrup. I’m just going to experiment over my stove until it has a nice apple pie smell/taste to it lol.

I just finished mixing everything. The cider was around 12 brix by itself. 5 pounds of honey brought it between 16-20 (can’t remember exactly). Then I switched to my hydrometer and added around 3-4 pounds of brown sugar that brought it up between 1.080-1.090 sg which is where I wanted it. The ph was hovering right around 2.98. A little low and acidic, but I don’t want to water it down and I don’t have anything to bring it up. I’m hoping the 71b brings it up a little to the mid 3’s. I’ll pitch the yeast tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back