Tips/tricks for cleaning sediment stains inside bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Looking for any tips/tricks for cleaning/removing sediment stains from the inside of bottles.

I've come across this a few times with commercial bottles I'm trying to reuse -- and hitting em with hot water and dish soap doesn't do a great job.

Thanks and Cheers!

Are you talking about stuck on sediment or actual staining of the glass?

For the stuck on sediment I pop some dried beans (small ones, like pinto or navy or even lentils) in with the warm water and soap and shake it around, the beans act as an abrasive and do a good job dislodging the sediment and stuck on bits. The beans take a long time to soften and expand so there's no worry about them getting stuck inside the bottle.

Are you talking about stuck on sediment or actual staining of the glass?

For the stuck on sediment I pop some dried beans (small ones, like pinto or navy or even lentils) in with the warm water and soap and shake it around, the beans act as an abrasive and do a good job dislodging the sediment and stuck on bits. The beans take a long time to soften and expand so there's no worry about them getting stuck inside the bottle.
Stains on the interior glass - typically on the side of the bottle from sitting in a rack over time.

Try a strong solution of PBW Cleanser. I have a 6 gallon pail of it at all times. When I finish a bottle of wine, I rinse twice and pop it into the bucket. The bottles stay there until the bucket is full. Then I remove them rinse twice and store upside down in another 6 gallon bucket until dry.

Try a strong solution of PBW Cleanser. I have a 6 gallon pail of it at all times. When I finish a bottle of wine, I rinse twice and pop it into the bucket. The bottles stay there until the bucket is full. Then I remove them rinse twice and store upside down in another 6 gallon bucket until dry.
I use PBW too but use a jet spray bottle washer set to full hot. Blast the wine bottle until it’s hot to the touch. Then fill the bottle with full hot tap water, add 1/4(?) tsp of PBW, let it stand for a few hours.

I use PBW too but use a jet spray bottle washer set to full hot. Blast the wine bottle until it’s hot to the touch. Then fill the bottle with full hot tap water, add 1/4(?) tsp of PBW, let it stand for a few hours.
Sounds good. You are high tech. I rely on gravity.

30 years ago, you can find similar styles at your local home brew shop (LHBS). Need an adapter to convert the spigot threads to hose size, I believe.

My first choice would be reagent grade phosphoric acid, if the sediment stain is not removed it will not make any difference, ie it is cosmetic. There are some concentrated acid cleaners which are in the grocery store to remove water stone.
My second choice would be straight vinegar, cap with a tasting cap and slosh around.
My third choice would be to get a gallon of acid dairy cleaner from the local farm supply store.

. . . . if it does not come off with acid it will not come off in the acidic wine . . . . .

I find soaking with oxyclean with hot water takes most out. I've used One Step for more stubborn strains, and have used a drill mounted cleaning brush (felt strips on a spindle) for the most stubborn.

I use this on-demand pump = I will use Oxy-clean and typically it gets everything out in less than 5 seconds of use. For those stubborn stains , Take a simple bottle brush afterward and followed by a rinse.

I just cleaned 18 cases that were all put away dirty and sat for at least 8 months ! (a winery went out of business)

Depends if the stain is organic or mineral in nature. A bottle brush helps for sure. I know I’ll get in trouble for this but bleach soak works on organic just rinse multiple times. You’ll likely need an acid based cleaner for mineral deposits. Even citric acid can work.

Latest posts

Back