Tips on rejuvenating neglected old vines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TicinoVintner

Reaction score
What are some tips on rejuvenating Old neglected merlot vines without having to do major soil work? I do plan on getting a soil sample tested this year but the actual work (if needed) will be done next year, so what can I do for this year?
Thanks for any imput.

Trim them back. Check the pruning thread and try to match yours to the ones in that thread. Don't worry about over purning if they have really gone wild, you can bring them back pretty far with out damage. After 2ed year of proper pruning you will get better results. good luck

Trim them back. Check the pruning thread and try to match yours to the ones in that thread. Don't worry about over purning if they have really gone wild, you can bring them back pretty far with out damage. After 2ed year of proper pruning you will get better results. good luck

Thanks, We have already pruned them back with two sprouts with about 2-3 buds on each. They have been pruned for the last few years but not by anyone with any knowledge on the subject, hence my researching. Maybe a bit of fertilizer mixed with the water? What about adding a little wood ash? I believe the soil is fertile enough as everything grows like crazy.

I need to research training the vines next, still waiting for my book.

You would not want to add wood ash or any amendments until you get a soil sample. Ash is basic (pH wise) so it would raise the pH. You would only want to add that if your soil was severely acidic.

You would not want to add wood ash or any amendments until you get a soil sample. Ash is basic (pH wise) so it would raise the pH. You would only want to add that if your soil was severely acidic.

Thanks. Some tips I have found elsewhere on the internets says to remove all weeds/grass around the base of the vine (as to remove competition for nutrients) and to add a layer of organic compost/mulch so that the nutrients are drip fed during rain/watering. Other than that with pruning and training there seems little else to do other than have the soil tested and go from there.
Thoughts?

Back