Tips on racking, please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie Mel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a newbie I started out with one gallon batches. My kit came with a mini siphon and that seems to work ok. I recently purchased a 3 gallon carboy, not realizing my mini siphon would not work for racking. 3 gallon is as big as I can go because that’s all I can lift and I can’t justify buying the all in one pump at this point. I have limited funds and need to get some experience under my belt before I invest any further. Anyone have any tips for me on racking? Do I need to purchase a longer racking cane? Or any tips for a beginner are appreciated!

The goal of racking is to separate the good wine from the stuff you don’t want to keep. I’ve racked plenty of times with just a hose and gravity. You just need to walk the hose down as the level drops and when it gets down to the last 10%, carefully tip the container on edge to get as much good wine as possible.

I just got a piece of plastic tubing from my local auto parts store ,and fit it over the end of my liquid extractor ( also from an autoparts store $9) I attached a wire the size of coat hanger wire to the bottom.. I used about 6 inches of wire and with cable ties ,also from the auto part store .I tied the wire to the bottom end of my hose , I let about 3 inches of wire protrude so the wire hits the bottom of my carboy ,but not the tubing . This way the clear wine is drawn up, leaving the unwanted sediment on the bottom.. By pulling on the wire I can adjust the length ..

Latest posts

Back