"Tips and tricks to using a whole house filter"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend that approx 3 wraps around the barb filter fitting and not over tighten them - use a wrench but hold your hand close to the barb so you can not put alot of leverage on it as it is only plastic.

Make sure that your index marks are correct - see page 1 of this tutorial - without filter installed. Use the vacuum resistant hose that came with the AIO -

Alot of times while pulling wine thru a filter you will get CO2 being released - this is normal because it is under vacuum pulling thru an orifice (filter).

If you are pulling a bit of air - don't be alarmed - You can not add that much oxygen in that short of a time frame.

Just think how long a gravity racking would normally take ? Well you can transfer and filter in approx 4 minutes for a 6 gallon carboy.

You are bottling and filtering to soon. It is best to filter wine that is clear and nearly sediment free. I always filter and bottle at the same time with no issues.

It was visually clear before I filtered it. If you have to let it clear on it's own. Then what's the point of filtering it.

I have used the filter system once and it worked perfectly. Getting ready to filter some beer before kegging. The pump system is great!

I also used white teflon tape and didn't know about pink. I will give that a try. I do have a question about the indexing and tightening. Forgive my ignorance, but if you only need to hand tighten the housing without the filter in it, then index it, what's the point of bench mounting and tightening with the wrench? This will inevitably lead to exceeding the index mark because it will tighten further using the wrench. Should I not tighten past the "hand tightened" index marks?

Are you sure it was seated the first time? I've never been able to get mine to go past the index marks after installing a filter.

I woke up this morning with this great idea to find where your leakage is -

At this stage always use water - once you see air going thru the filter and you can find where it is coming from =

fill a bucket with water and put the filter cartridge so it covers up the o-ring between housings and see if the bubbles stop - if not cover the barbs and see if it stops. The idea of this is it can not pull air if it is under water.

Find where your leak is and then it will be easier to address

I hope this helps ?

Dang, why didn't I think of that? Thanks, Steve, I will try that (probably this weekend).

When I bought my filter setup, I bought the P1 and P5 Pentek filters from filtersfast. After going through 5 or 6 of them now, I'm looking if there is a cheaper alternative that will suffice as they are quite expensive at $6 a pop. I would have to buy 24+ to get that $3.49 price.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Tier1 P1-10 which are $1.89 ea.

http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-...ng&gclid=CN6boImv7s0CFcRgfgodzy0JHA&hotdeal=5

or $1.55 ea in bulk (25cnt) from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJNEU5W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just filtered and bottled a couple of carboys of wine this morning using the all in one machine and it went really well. It was our first time using the filter and bottling part of the system so I had a few questions before we started. I went on to the website and left a question for Steve and he called me back in less than 5 minutes. Unreal customer service!!...anyway, the system works great and is super easy to use. I would recommend this product.

I just filtered and bottled a couple of carboys of wine this morning using the all in one machine and it went really well. It was our first time using the filter and bottling part of the system so I had a few questions before we started. I went on to the website and left a question for Steve and he called me back in less than 5 minutes. Unreal customer service!!...anyway, the system works great and is super easy to use. I would recommend this product.

Thanks for the feedback ! -
I really enjoy talking and sharing with other winemakers.

I just did some filtering while transferring with the allinonewinepump and found out an amazing discovery !

If I used the https://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/new-precision-adjustable-vacuum-valve/
I was able to turn down the vacuum and there was no bubbles in the filter and or lines. It cleared out very nicely also !

The output going into the receiving carboy was no more than a typical gravity feed output.

I hope this helps

Alot of times filter fast can not keep up in stock with the recommended filter and housings - I suggest copying the exact part # and then googling it and find it at amazon or walmart.com

I hope that helps

Here is a video I did on assembling the whole house wine filter with a tube to drain the housing.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]X3jHeRHtZ-s[/MEDIA]"]

Bob

I used this video to do my setup, and with the 934 filter have had no problems with any air leakage or fluid, (water and wine) as I pump sanitize through it before I filter my wine, not yet tried any other filters, but on my last 934 now, so will be going to the plain p-5 next time I filter, hoping for same results from it, Also I found that when I did my index mark with no filter, after I installed 934 it was hard to get it back to line up mark, so I stopped before my mark and it works fine, it is about 1/4" inch before mark, so if you do a good hand tight without filter, you will have some leave way with a filter, also my housing is 158326 as bob video, not sure on the 116-117 models...

Hahah.... I bought a case each, of the 1 and 5 microns.... In January!
in that you bought a case, I went to try for you, harbor freight has a step drill set that has a 1-3/8 size, (item#96275) cost less than $20 bucks, but it's yours forever, I drilled each end of pd-1-934 and put in housing hand tighten and went right to index marks, (a strong hand tighten) maybe that will help you

I would add that you should always pump the wine through the filter after the pump (push) not before the pump ( pull with vacuum).
I would add hose clamps on top of the barbs also so the hoses don’t pop off by accident and if you must pull the wine through the filter for some reason like inline with the bottling operation it will prevent sucking air bubbles into the system.

I would add that you should always pump the wine through the filter after the pump (push) not before the pump ( pull with vacuum).
I would add hose clamps on top of the barbs also so the hoses don’t pop off by accident and if you must pull the wine through the filter for some reason like inline with the bottling operation it will prevent sucking air bubbles into the system.

The hose that the 3/8'' barbs are intended for use a 5/16 id - they are pretty tight to put on without heating them up under hot water. I do not like using clamps as it has more of a tendency to leak then. I highly recommend using the precission vacuum valve so you can turn the liquid volume down that is being filtered thru the filter more efficiently.

if you use pump pressure before the filter, won't you be creating pressure in the carboy/ I can picture in my mind the filter stopping up and pressure increase to a bursting of the carboy, I think you would have to also add a very expensive pressure relief valve as to prevent this, just not sure I understand your point, think I will stay with the vacuum system.

@CUZIN_J
You can only pull the amount of vacuum that the pump is designed for.
Our pumps are rated between 22 -24 of vacuum.

I have never seen or heard of a glass carboy imploding due to excessive vacuum.

I still suggest using the precision vacuum valve to reduce vacuum to get better efficiency out of the filter cartridge

Latest posts

Back