"Tips and tricks to using a whole house filter"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember hearing once that flavour molecules compared to sterile filter is like throwing a ping pong ball through soccer netting. In other words flavour molecules much too small to get caught in any filter we could do at home.

Not bad, but not dramatic enough. If the "flavor molecules" are the size of a ping pong ball, the gaps in the filter would be more like the distance BETWEEN THE SOCCER GOALS (on opposite ends of the soccer pitch).

the distance BETWEEN THE SOCCER GOALS (on opposite ends of the soccer pitch).

Seriously, holy mackerel! I just wish I could source a relatively inexpensive .5 micron filter cartridge for my whole house filter. Anyone have any luck with that?

Thanks for the video, Bob! I have some wines indeed to filter but am having trouble with ask kinds of air in the filter and carboy. I know Steve suggests marking the housing, but I'm not really sure what id be marking. I'm wondering if you had any issues with that. What does the pipe do?

Thanks for the video, Bob! I have some wines indeed to filter but am having trouble with ask kinds of air in the filter and carboy. I know Steve suggests marking the housing, but I'm not really sure what id be marking. I'm wondering if you had any issues with that. What does the pipe do?

Look at the fist post of this thread - if you want you can PM me your phone # and I can go thru it more in detail

Thanks, Steve. I did look at it but can't see what I'm looking at. Is there a notch or something I should be looking at?

Thanks, Steve. I did look at it but can't see what I'm looking at. Is there a notch or something I should be looking at?

index your housing top and bottom after hand tight (with a marker or paint pen - see above post for pics at this time ) Install filter until the index marks align up properly. That will tell you that your housing to O ring is properly sealed.

So I used a 1 micron filter on a pinot noir. I kept the racking cane off the bottom of the carboy, I got 28 perfectly clear bottles (the wine had already cleared and settled out) I then put the racking cane on the bottom of the carboy (with sediment tip) ran that through the filter also and got 1.5 bottles of cloudy wine....
I put the 1.5 bottles in the fridge and 24 hours later there was a definite line of sediment in the bottles.

So should I use a .45 or smaller filter to get the last little bit out?
Throw away the last bit of wine?
What would you do?

Your filter must be leaking and sediments are getting around it. No way will particles large enough to see pass through a micron filter. The filter was probably not tightly sealed on the ends. When a lot of sediment clogs the pores, wine will slip around the seals if not tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

By the way, you should not be filtering wine that has visible sediments or cloudiness. Rack it first.

By the way, you should not be filtering wine that has visible sediments or cloudiness. Rack it first.

Well it had all settled out. It was by no means cloudy. Just the last bit once I set the racking cane on the bottom.

I'm curious why you shouldn't filter wine that is cloudy? Short of clogging up a filter, does it hurt anything else?

Does anyone know where one could find the reinforced vacuum hose for the All In One? Mine is missing and I really need to do some filtering/transferring/bottling the next few days and don't have time to wait for a shipment. I believe it is 1/4" ID but not certain, can't remember. Any suggestions appreciated!

Does anyone know where one could find the reinforced vacuum hose for the All In One? Mine is missing and I really need to do some filtering/transferring/bottling the next few days and don't have time to wait for a shipment. I believe it is 1/4" ID but not certain, can't remember. Any suggestions appreciated!

That would be 5/16'' x 1/2''
If you can find it - let me know and you would probably have it by Tuesday

As for bottling - I prefer the standard 3/8'' hose from the LHBS -
because you are not putting that much vacuum on the hose and it is more flexible when bottling

Last edited:
Thank you Steve. I understand what you mean about less vacuum for bottling, but the 3/8 confused me. Do you mean 3/8 OD? I just found a small piece of my original hose (not enough to use) and it measures 5/16 ID. Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
Thank you Steve. I understand what you mean about less vacuum for bottling, but the 3/8 confused me. Do you mean 3/8 OD? I just found a small piece of my original hose (not enough to use) and it measures 5/16 ID. Sorry for all the questions.

Yes - that would be 3/8'' Id - or standard racking hose

Latest posts

Back