Tips and helpful info

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a tip i've learnt for myself.

cut the plastic paddle in half using a very sharp blade.
attach it to a battery drill and voila you now have a paddle that fits in a demijohn to get rid of co2 not a whip.

as popular as a fart in a spacesuit

now that is a new one ,,,
what I do is ,,, read here and try what sounds like will work for how I do things , ,,,,,,, because if you knew what/how I do things you would shake your head and say he's nutty er then a fruit cake ..... but I do it my way and the way I'm happy with ,,, yes I do ask a few things then do try a few ways you all come up with ..

I'm from ireland and i've been observing and adding a few comments.
To be honest the lads in here are ok.
but i think i'll move closer to home here.
http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Hi Paddy....I mirror all my posts on that website as well but its deader than mother superiors bedsprings after dark. Nice to bump into you and look forward to getting to know you. My Granda brewed poteen and his recipe is upstairs somewhere, I remember my daddy trying to do it once and he got caught, lol. .

cut the plastic paddle in half using a very sharp blade.
attach it to a battery drill and voila you now have a paddle that fits in a demijohn to get rid of co2 not a whip.

I cut down a plastic coat hanger leaving a little hook at the end and that hooks into the demijohn quite easy. Nice idea though, thanks

Tip- Fruit Fly Trap

Here is one.

For all of you hard core winemakers out there, the ones that do battle with those pesky fruit flies, here is a tip for a fruit fly trap.

Getting rid of fruit flies is rather important since fruit flies are known carriers of acetobacter, a form of bacteria that can turn your wine into vinegar.

Here's what I do..

1) Take a 2 liter soda bottle and cut off the top third.
2) Pour a little fermenting wine into the bottom,
3) add a single drop of dish soap
4) invert the top and insert it into the bottom.

Flies are drawn in, but can not find their way out. Works like a charm.

Untitled.jpg

...but its deader than mother superiors bedsprings after dark...

That is classic!!! :)

It is tough to read tone on forums at times, but I've found an overwhelming majority of folks here have the best of intentions. So I try to assume they mean well, if I find myself questioning someone's response. Glad to see you're sticking around.

One of the best things I've learned so far in winemaking is "don't sweat the small stuff". A day or two delay (or acceleration) in the schedule won't make too much difference in most cases. As an example, if you're at 1.000SG and won't have time to rack to secondary for another day, just make sure you have the lid on tight and an airlock. There's enough CO2 in that wine to protect it.

sampvt, I think no one on this forum means to demean anyone. Quite the opposite. That people take time to read posts and take time to respond means that they treat those they respond to seriously. One of the lovely things about this forum is that there is no flaming and there are no trolls... Also, as an ex-pat Scot I can tell you that irony is not a well developed skill in the US of A and so when people post they are not being ironic/sarcastic. When they ask a question they ask because they do not believe that they know the answer and are not waiting to show how silly any response will be. Just my tuppence (AKA two cents)

tips and helpful info

How about posting the title "tips and helpful info" and then add what the helpful info or tipis pertains to in the title such as, "Tips and and helpful info( cleaning hard residue in carboys)". That way, when we do a search for something like a helpful tip, it will pop up. Am I totally off track here :?or is there merit in my suggestion to improve helpful suggestions?

Corinth

How about posting the title "tips and helpful info" and then add what the helpful info or tipis pertains to in the title such as, "Tips and and helpful info( cleaning hard residue in carboys)". That way, when we do a search for something like a helpful tip, it will pop up. Am I totally off track here :?or is there merit in my suggestion to improve helpful suggestions?

Corinth

I like it !
There could be a separate post with sub threads as well -
It would be easier to find as I know alot of topics gets talking about cleaners and solutions and all.

I can think of atleast 20 + topics if not alot more -

Just remember that this is all personally the writers opinion !!

I am going to add a comment after posting this - I would not want a newcomer to post a thread about how to use sulfite or something and all we do is point them in 1 direction and ask them to read this first.

That is what makes this forum soo enjoyable !!

Last edited:
Ive just finished off a wine and as usual I loose a load with the racking and final filtering. So I decided to do this.....

When the finnings is added, tip the carboy backwards and put a piece of wood underneath the front and make sure its stable. After a few days when its cleared, the sediment will be at the back of the carboy. Remove the wood very carefully and give the carboy a quick twist, this allows any sediment that has been caught on the sides to fall down.

When it comes to syphoning off the brew, the sediment trap now sit at the front of the carboy where there is no sediment and when you get to the end of the bottle, tip it forward and get the last dregs out and leave all the sediment behind.

tying cotton on a hydrometer will cause it to drop even lower and give you inaccurate readings.
You could offset that by measuring the hydrometer's reading in water with and without the string/tape. Then adjust your next readings accordingly. I use my hydrometer to get me in the ballpark. I'm not too worried about being, "Dead on balls accurate." Since I'm awake at this ungodly hour, I think I'll start my Trinity Red.
This would be a great thread if we can stick to the topic. I'm still too new to have many good tips.

Well, finished starting the WE Cali Trinity Red about 45 min ago. Cleaned the carboy from yesterday (it'd been soaking in oxyclean since bottling). Changed out the oxy solution that my bottles were soaking in and a couple of other things. I'll try and stay on topic too.
Tip: I usually soak my bottles in oxy for a couple of days after rinsing. Gets 'em clean and makes removing the labels easier (some brands better than others).
I pour my juice into the fermenter from fairly high (as high as I can managed without getting too much splash outside of the bucket) to introduce as much O2 as possible.

Last edited:
Easy way to use K-meta soluton

I think that some may already use these, but I keep 4 of these, full of kmeta solution, on hand. They are great to use in filling fermentation traps and also do a good job when rinsing and preparing equipment before use. Just grab and squeeze!

I have had the same bottles in use now for a good 10 years. They hold up very well!

bottles.jpg

Last edited:
Do you spend too much time washing bottles?

Let's face it, washing bottles is a real PITA.

Over the years, I have developed the habit of washing bottles as I go, washing them just as soon as they are emptied. This saves so much time in not having to scrub them. I use screaming hot water to rinse them 3 times and (only if need be) use a drop of automatic dishwashing detergent to melt any staining on the glass away. I then put them on a rack to dry which takes only minutes as the bottles are hot from the water.

Once dry, I deposit them into one of my two "bottle bins". These are essentially large boxes (about 5'X5'X5') on wheels and are the perfect size to fit under my lab counters. When ready to bottle, I just pull them out of the bin, rinse in k-meta, and am off to the races!

Here is a picture of on of my bins. Notice that I have steel positioned over the corners for added durability.

CRUSH'10_03_b.jpg

Oh, really?! Izzat so!? :ft

Just kiddin', Bernard! :)

Absolutely..:hug There was a recent article in the Huffington Post about 4 "inventions" found in British homes that are far superior to those used in US homes... (eg a bathroom sink with two faucets - one for hot and the other cold!, or the fact that many British bathrooms are not wired to enable you to connect anything other than an electric shaver (this for safety reasons!! )and the only possible way that article was written was with the author's tongue firmly planted in her cheek.. but the number of people who responded who took the article seriously was ..astonishing.

hi sampvt or should i say saxon

I like that tip for the sediment.
always get stuck with 2 or 3 bottles at the end with sediment in them,
as i don't have a filtering vinbrite system.
i heard though that coffee filters are good as well but slow for the liquid to penetrate it.

Latest posts

Back