Tip: carboy drying

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonofAl

Junior
Reaction score
Nothing too earthshaking here, but just offering a little trick I found when desperately looking for a proper way to dry my freshly cleaned carboys - having already used up my bottle drying racks.
Simply put, I found 2 unopened cases of water, gently poked a hole in the center of it, removed one bottle and, voila! - the inverted 3 gallon carboy sat on top just fine! Depending on how you position it, you may be able to fit 2 gallon sizes. Haven't tried a 5 or 6 gallon, but I see no problem with it. Hope it helps!
IMG_20220327_194105.jpg

Nothing too earthshaking here, but just offering a little trick I found when desperately looking for a proper way to dry my freshly cleaned carboys - having already used up my bottle drying racks.
Simply put, I found 2 unopened cases of water, gently poked a hole in the center of it, removed one bottle and, voila! - the inverted 3 gallon carboy sat on top just fine! Depending on how you position it, you may be able to fit 2 gallon sizes. Haven't tried a 5 or 6 gallon, but I see no problem with it. Hope it helps!
View attachment 86212
Great idea! Human ingenuity never ceases to amaze me.
The only potential problem I see is with the major issue that news media ignore - earth's increasing gravity. Everything, and I mean everything, gets heavier each year.

Be careful. Be very careful. We went away for 2 months and when I checked the winery, there were 16 carboys of wine to bottle. Not sure how that happened but I didn't make wine for a while!
Ok ok. Maybe I should add "MAKE SURE the carboys are NOT touching one another!"

Great idea! Human ingenuity never ceases to amaze me.
The only potential problem I see is with the major issue that news media ignore - earth's increasing gravity. Everything, and I mean everything, gets heavier each year.
My Covid gut takes that personally. A bit of dry(ing) humour.
I used to put my carboys upside down in a clean milk carton to dry until I realized there's no reason for it unless the carboy is going to sit for a year or so.
After the carboy gets a thorough washing, I pour a few ounces of K-Meta and citric acid solution in and then cap the carboy. The solution I use is 3 TBS K-Meta, 1-1/2 TBS citric acid and a gallon of water (or proportionately what you need).
The solution gives off S04 fumes that keep the carboy sanitized.
Some people say they don't bother washing or rinsing the carboy before they make their next batch of wine. IMO citric acid isn't something you want in your wine.
So rinse, rinse, rinse before starting the wine. BTW when you cap the carboy for storage, use a bung and airlock rather than a solid bung alone. Carboys are always a bit warm after I wash them. The heat expands the air and will pop out a solid bung.

My Covid gut takes that personally. A bit of dry(ing) humour.
I used to put my carboys upside down in a clean milk carton to dry until I realized there's no reason for it unless the carboy is going to sit for a year or so.
After the carboy gets a thorough washing, I pour a few ounces of K-Meta and citric acid solution in and then cap the carboy. The solution I use is 3 TBS K-Meta, 1-1/2 TBS citric acid and a gallon of water (or proportionately what you need).
The solution gives off S04 fumes that keep the carboy sanitized.
Some people say they don't bother washing or rinsing the carboy before they make their next batch of wine. IMO citric acid isn't something you want in your wine.
So rinse, rinse, rinse before starting the wine. BTW when you cap the carboy for storage, use a bung and airlock rather than a solid bung alone. Carboys are always a bit warm after I wash them. The heat expands the air and will pop out a solid bung.
I use citric acid in my K-meta solution for sanitizing and have never rinsed equipment or bottles. Never had an issue doing it. Rinsing after sanitizing exposes the carboy or whatever you're rinsing to whatever nasties might be in the rinse water. A lot of people on here use citric acid in their K-meta and I have never heard anyone say rinse after sanitizing.

For the last 8- 10 years I rinse or otherwise clean the carboy as needed then rinse with a carboy/bottle washer that shoots a powerful jet of water. Drain it inverted for a few minutes then I cover the mouth with a piece of paper towel held in place with a rubber band. Place it in storage, remaining trace of water will evaporate. Being the paper towel is porous, atmosphere pressure has no effect and the evaporated water will commingle with the humidity in the room. No problems. Will sanitize carboy just prior to loading a batch.

We have always just added kmeta to the carboys and covered them in food wrap to keep clean with kmeta still inside. Mind you we have been making wine pretty steady last few years. I plan on taking a break from wine making for a couple of years as I now have over 500 bottles and I live alone, plus I am planning on moving.

is it better to sterilize then dry for long storage? Thinking it would be easier to move also.

are there issues leaving kmeta in carboys long term?

thoughts?

is it better to sterilize then dry for long storage? Thinking it would be easier to move also.

are there issues leaving kmeta in carboys long term?
I clean carboys, but do not sanitize -- there's no point, as I'll sanitize them before use anyway.

I have tried leaving K-meta water in the carboy. Eventually it evaporates, leaving a crust, and I've had black mold or mildew grow. If the carboy is dry, there's nothing to grow on. Wrap the top in plastic wrap or foil to keep dust and critters out.

I clean carboys, but do not sanitize -- there's no point, as I'll sanitize them before use anyway.

I have tried leaving K-meta water in the carboy. Eventually it evaporates, leaving a crust, and I've had black mold or mildew grow. If the carboy is dry, there's nothing to grow on. Wrap the top in plastic wrap or foil to keep dust and critters out.

thank you. I think I will do that.

Back