Timing grape/juice purchases

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catawampus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just wandering how you time your ordering for grapes/juice? Considering that there is Europe, South Africa, South America, Austalia/New Zealand, and California/US, when are you placing orders for grapes/juice?

I have made country fruit wine for a long time, but am just turning to grapes.

Thanks all! I don't post often, but am a habitual lurker. I learn so much here, so thanks in advance.

I ordered my SAfr & Chilean grapes in mid Feb the SA pinotage grapes arrived end of march, chilean grapes arrived in April as well as juice buckets from both areas. California in the fall I'll start placing my orders in August, grapes & juice buckets arrive in Sept. Italian stuff will arrive in Oct. i'm pretty sure Australian stuff arrives in mid summer.

Do you have source in Oklahoma?

I only buy california grapes but you have to work around the suppliers schedule for ballpark schedule. Even then they can come in a little earlier or later depending on weather etc.
Mike

I ordered my SAfr & Chilean grapes in mid Feb the SA pinotage grapes arrived end of march, chilean grapes arrived in April as well as juice buckets from both areas. California in the fall I'll start placing my orders in August, grapes & juice buckets arrive in Sept. Italian stuff will arrive in Oct. i'm pretty sure Australian stuff arrives in mid summer.

Do you have source in Oklahoma?
Well, figured I'd start out with juice that could be delivered to the door.

I have been planting 2 acres of hybrids little by little, so that is my main future supply. But, want to add some vinifera to the mix.

Well, figured I'd start out with juice that could be delivered to the door.

I have been planting 2 acres of hybrids little by little, so that is my main future supply. But, want to add some vinifera to the mix.

There are a few suppliers that will ship juice or frozen must. Presque Isles will ship Australian juice. http://www.piwine.com/ There are a few others if you search the site or Google that deliver frozen must. But if you've been lurking you probably know that.

2 acres? very nice.

Thanks for this! Yeah, could have 4 or 5 acres if I were up for the work!

I really appreciate the help. I have struggled to understand the timing of ordering for the different regions.

There are a few suppliers that will ship juice or frozen must. Presque Isles will ship Australian juice. http://www.piwine.com/ There are a few others if you search the site or Google that deliver frozen must. But if you've been lurking you probably know that.

2 acres? very nice.
And, I don't necessarily know the others. I know Wine Grapes Direct, Brehm, and Grapemasters. Are their others that should be on my radar? Are any of these better or worse for given regions?

Thanks for this! Yeah, could have 4 or 5 acres if I were up for the work!

I really appreciate the help. I have struggled to understand the timing of ordering for the different regions.

Just paying it forward, so many here helped me along the way.

Pretty much southern hemisphere harvests in our late winter to early spring, northern hemisphere in the late summer into fall.

Please keep us posted on the progress of your burgeoning vineyard.

Latest posts

Back