Time To Sit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make only Fruit wines and most have an ABV north of 12.5 by design. I prefer the stouter level and just on the slightly sweet side - but I have't gone past 1.010 on purpose yet. (Well maybe with Tart Cherry but it needs more)

And - Yes most of my wine is consumed in 2-3 years. Maybe someday one will might last 4 years.

Bluedart,

In general, darker red grapes will have longer shelf lives, and typically take longer to mature. Keep in mind that this also depends on wine making technique -- if the fermentation on the skins is shorter, less constituents are leached from the skins and pulp, so the wine will be lighter. This is especially true for blush and rose wines.

Side note: I'm astounded by the number of people that believe zinfandel is a white grape ...

Anywho, white grapes typically have shorter shelf lives, but they are typically made from juice and not fermented on the skins. This lifespan can span decades -- as noted previously, high acid and alcohol will affect this.

Non-grape fruits are similar, but typically have shorter life spans than grape wines. Which is not to say that fruit wines can't have a significant life span. In another thread someone mentioned a spice apple wine that is great at 7 years. Elderberry in particular may have a longer lifespan, although the ones I had that were more than 5 years old were very heavy.

If you're making fruit wines with alcohol levels lower than 10%, I don't expect you'll get more than a few years out of them -- which probably suits you just fine. Such wines mature faster and may not last longer ... 'cuz you drank it all!
Thanks for the info.

Back