Time to degas?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgareri

Reaction score
I posted a couple months ago that the riesling was going well, then not so well, not its back. Interesting now that the 5 gallon carboy is still a bit cloudy but the smaller 1/2 gallon is crystal clear. I also think the 5 gal has some CO2 while the 1/2 gal degassed quicker.

Would the next course of action be to get a degasser and try that to see if it helps in dropping the light haze (I have already done a bentonite fining)?

Which degasser would you recommend? I have seen the fermtech one but have been told its not the best, and was told to look at one that was more like a stick with a neon green / plastic cord weaved through it.

I'm hoping to bottle in March, so I'd like to be ready before then if possible.

Thoughts?

I'm not a fan of degassing since it occurs naturally anyway and risks oxidizing your wine. (Of course this is probably a lightning rod for debate.) I'm never worried that a can of soda I open will not be flat next month. Most of the CO2 will be released when you rack it anyway.

The haze you are seeing likely would be removed either through father time with aging, filtering or adding fining agents. Probably the easiest way is fining using the "super kleer" agents (kieselsol followed by chitosan). Those should clear it up in a week or two.

wine is much clearer, so i'm going to let it sit for a while. I will then rack and degas if necessary. I'm thinking of taking the plunge on the Clear Bottle Express degasser. Looks like a decent option, from what I've been told.

Back