Time to Bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solstice2006

Junior
Reaction score
My wine has reached .99 S.G. and I have stabalized it.
Is there a certain length of time I should wait until I Bottle it?

WOW that was fast!!!!

Okay...

I am making 6 gals red wine from juice in a pail.
I added the Meta and Sorbate to stabalize but no fining agents at this time.
I've used Super Clear in the past, but added a few days before I bottled in the past. I've bottled in 45-60 days in the past. Am I moving too fast? What’s the difference if the wine sits in bottles or in a vessel under air-lock?

Last edited:
When you say you've stabilized it, do you mean you've racked it, added k-meta, sorbate, and fining agents?

Fred

What is it?
You will need to clear the wine.
More info like when you started, kind, size, etc...

It would really help to know what this is that you made such as in kit or juice from bucket or fruit wine. Either way though more time in bulk age is better as there will still be very fine sediment fallng ot even if you have used a fining agent. I would wait 3 months minimum.

Either way though more time in bulk age is better as there will still be very fine sediment fallng ot even if you have used a fining agent. I would wait 3 months minimum.

bulk aging is a good thing for sure. you can bottle 10 days after adding the sorbate, etc.

we try to leave things in the carboys for as long as possible, but you end up needing them sometime! :b

At an SG of .990 your wine will be dry so there was even no need to add sorbate.

If it is really crystal clear you can bottle. Just bring the sulphite up to level so no malo-lactic fermentation can spontaneous start.

FYI Malo lactic fermentation is a fermentation where malic acid is transformed into lactic acid by some bacteria. Sulphite inhibits this.

So if you need the carboy, bottle. If not the wine MAY actually improve by bulk aging.

Luc

Sulphite???

I did add potassium metabisulphite, is that what you were talking about?

Thanks for the help...I do appreciate it.

K-meta, sulfite, potassium Metabisulfite, campden tablets, Na meta, Sodium metabisulfite are all basically the same thing with the exception of k and Na being 2 different chemicals but they do the same thing in your wine.

time to botlle is like time to make love, when it's time you know it

time to bottle is like time to make love, when it's time you know it

Latest posts

Back